Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#28895 - 02/27/24 12:30 AM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
jarentz Offline

Loc: central pa.
Have you ever watched a squirrel open a hickory nut?
they are tough little boogers.
62 degrees today! Weatherman said the warmest day since Nov 10

#28897 - 03/02/24 05:17 PM Re: spring weather [Re: jarentz]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
We've had the warmest ever winter here. And I'm always looking for the first robin of the spring. So this year, for the first time ever, and I mean EVER, I saw a FLOCK of robins. Usually when I'd see more then one, they were fighting. But taking a walk around several blocks in my neighborhood, I spied at least a couple dozen robins pecking away at some guys front lawn. I had no idea they flocked together. Maybe right place at the right time, but after more than seven decades, this was a first for me! Oh, and by the way, happy birthday Tim! grin

Edited by FLSH ETR (03/02/24 05:20 PM)

#28898 - 03/02/24 10:04 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Frank, thanks for the birthday wish. You must have someone in the family that shares the same birthday. If you do, Happy Birthday to he or she!

I forget when I first noticed robins in this area? It's in the bird thread. But for about 3 weeks, I didn't see any. It was yesterday or the day before? Another flock moved in.

Looking at the neighbor's yard, there are 3 robins and a squirrel running around now.

It was spitting snow here last night, didn't lay on the ground. More or less a light cold rain. A week or so ago, the ground was warm, had 3 or 4 inches of snow, and when it melted I could see fresh green grass. Yard grass, but we're starting to green up.

Looked at a field of winter wheat or barley the other day, it's looking good.

#28899 - 03/02/24 10:38 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
jarentz Offline

45 and raining today,calling for mid 60tys tomorrow!
Another raccoon got in the suet feeder last night,
guess i will set a couple traps again.

#28900 - 03/02/24 11:02 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
We had -27 C. this week. Then it went up to plus 10 C. Then we had a huge rain storm where I couldn't see 10 feet from the window only to have it turn to snow. Thank goodness it didn't last long. The wind was intense.

The bush is littered with twigs and branches. You would be hard pressed to find "clean" snow.

I'm guess we have less than a foot of ice snow. We are having early April weather in
Feb.March.

The bears are coming out of hibernation in zoos. I have had crows in the yard for the past week.

#28909 - 03/05/24 03:31 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
jarentz Offline

I have been seeing and hearing large flocks of Canada geese flying
high over head. Probably the first migrating geese that i've seen
or heard in 5 years. we have local geese around all year now,but these
were heading somewhere else. I had 65 degrees yesterday!

#28918 - 03/14/24 08:14 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Saw my first duck of the year on the river in front of the house. Last year, #1 was seen on April 7.

Zero C. this morning and 10 this afternoon.

#28919 - 03/15/24 03:38 AM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
That 'blush' of robins (yea, had to look that one up) that I mentioned has broken up into lone birds. And they've been replaced by a 'cloud/grind' (yup, had to look that one up too) of black birds. I'll go with 'cloud' cuz they almost block out the sun when they come sweeping down from one tree to the next. Close to an inch and a half of all day rain today, with nasty north wind. Stayed in the house except to check the mail. Sun tomorrow. I'll still forecast snow for Easter. grin

#28920 - 03/15/24 12:49 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'll be. I searched too. Another word that is used for a cluster robins, is bobbin.

As a rule, I see bobbins of robins each spring. Sometimes 50 or more birds.

We've been having a large swing in temperature from the low to high. 40 degrees or more. Yesterday morning the dogs water had a skim of ice, we were up in the 70's last evening.

This warm weather is just enough to mess up the fruit trees. I've noticed they are starting to bud, this is too early. Middle of March, we're going to have some freezing temps. As old Man Rob always said: It always snows on the yellow bushes.

I did see my first red-winged blackbird the other week. Now we've got some of the glossy blackbirds (with yellow eyes). Forget, it was 10 or 15 days ago I did see a V-formation of Canada geese headed north. It was late that evening and they were low, guess they landed here in the valley, to rest up overnight?

#28922 - 03/15/24 02:39 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
We got blackbirds moving through here. And warm weather too. 80 degrees yesterday. And yes that really plays hob with the fruit trees. I've given up on fruit trees. Because of the early warm weather and late frost, we get a crop about 1 year out of five.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.