Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#28938 - 03/26/24 03:11 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Well it appears the pair of falcons I have been watching have moved on. They tried to convert a squirrels nest to their own, but have failed. Speaking anthropomorphicly, he's pissed she can't pick a good nesting place, and she's pissed at his lack of nest building skills. I'll still scan the trees for them, but soon the trees will foliate, and I might just have to catch them in the skies, if they're still close by.

#28939 - 03/26/24 06:19 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
+10 C. here this afternoon.

#28940 - 03/27/24 01:57 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I had 51* at daylight, I think that's the warmest morning we've had this season.

Hard to say about the falcons, I guess when the eggs are ready, they will settle on a nest.

I'll give you and update on the local fires. The rain the other day pretty much snuffed them out.

I'll tell you last Wednesday started out normal and then got crazy. Talking to some of our local firemen, I was told that wind gusts reached 80 MPH. In the time frame of 5 hours or less, there where fires burning in all directions.

Headline in this weeks paper: Fires unite County; More than 8,000 acres burn.

Reading the story, 25 homes and cabins were destroyed, in Hardy Co. WV Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters dropped more than 65,000 gallons of water. There were 2 Forest Service Hotshots crews working the fire, one from Illinois and the other from New Mexico.

One quote from the local fire cheif, they were overwhelmed with the local support. The 4-H camp was opened to the fire crews, serving meals, lodging and all. Donations of new chainsaws, leaf blowers, mixed gas, gloves, flashlights, right on up to local folks using their own heavy equipment to cut fire lines.

We're pretty much back to normal now, school opened Monday, normal schedule. Folks are back on the job. What a difference a week makes!

#28946 - 03/31/24 04:12 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Above we were talking about woods fires and the wind. The mailman and I were talking about the wind the day the fires started, he has an anemometer (wind speed gauge), his topped out at 78 MPH.

Mailman said that the gauge at Mount Storm, WV, topped out at 111 MPH. One hundred eleven, miles per hour. That's just crazy. Mount Storm is 30 miles west of here.

We were talking about our utility lines. If you've never noticed, utility poles have a "birthmark", that lists the specs for the pole. The birthmark usually faces the road/street, with it's number.

We have utility poles that date back to years and years ago. I assume it's like that everywhere? Years ago poles had a "date nail", a copper nail, with a number on the head. I have a can full of them someplace.

If you're curious, utility poles are planted 10% plus 2 feet deep. The hole for an 80 foot pole will be, 8 feet, plus 2 feet, equals 10 feet deep.

Our electric service is very dependable, but with wind gusts that high, trees are going to fall.

I'm not expecting an Easter snow, we're up in the 60's now.

#28947 - 03/31/24 05:30 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Lots of rain here. That will greatly lessen the fire danger. As soon as the trees leaf out, and shade the forest floor, it will stay damp and be hard to ignite.

#28948 - 04/02/24 02:56 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

We had rain off and on yesterday, and about 1/4 inch the day before. Checked the weather early today, calling for a chance of rain and storms.

After today, our high temps will be in the 40's and lows in the 30's from now till Sunday. Chance of snow in the mountains, Thursday.

Our woods won't burn now, but last Thursday we did have a small woods fire here in the valley. Yard and pasture grass is growing, here in the valley, up high the grass and weeds haven't started yet. I can see daylight through the tree tops at 3,000 feet.

Give our trees another 2 or 3 weeks and the leaves will really start coming on.

Talked to a lady the other day, that makes maple syrup. She said the season started early, and their last boil was March 12th. I think. She said they'd made 350 gallons this year. On their best year, they were right at 500 gallons. Lots and lots of boiling!

#28951 - 04/05/24 03:22 PM Re: spring weather [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Well it finally quit raining, snowing, and super blowing, so the falcons decided to return. They must have pecked and made up, working again on the old squirrels nest. Our power company has installed several nest boxes around the area, one of which is located several miles from here at the Oak Creek power station, along the lake. Web cams have been installed, and a couple of weeks ago it showed the hen sitting on one egg. Haven't checked lately, but I'll assume there's more eggs by now. Shouldn't be long before this pair of birds will be sitting on the nest too. He'll hunt, and feed her. She'll sit until the hatchlings are big enough, then she too will hunt, to feed herself, but also all them hungry mouths.

Edited by FLSH ETR (04/05/24 05:58 PM)

#28952 - 04/06/24 08:14 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if that's a recent picture your yard grass is as green as what we have here in the valley.

The other morning I found a bird egg shell on my outside porch. Not positive, but I think it was a dove egg shell. White and about and inch long.

Talking about our weather, it snowed in Elkins, WV yesterday morning. Elkins is an hour west of here. Last evening, we had flurries, then later there was a pretty good snow squall blow across the valley and up the mountain. Enough to make the road wet. The mailman had a little bit more. The wind hasn't slacked off much.

Two guys mowed off the high spots in the church yard this morning, both of them were bundled up, wearing gloves. The one guy was wearing a toboggan. My weeds don't need to mowed off that bad yet.

Some mornings the wind will be dead calm at daylight, as soon as the sun comes up, we'll get windy again. But I had 40* at daylight.

#28953 - 04/07/24 10:50 AM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
What is a "toboggan" for you guys?

In Canada, it is a sled you ride downhill on or that you tow things with. Going "toboganning" is an activity many partake in during winter.

#28954 - 04/07/24 12:11 PM Re: spring weather [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I know what you mean, I would call that a sled. What I was talking about is a type of hat. I'm sure you and the family have a drawer full of toboggans.

I had 27* at daylight and a good frost. Clear blue skies and dead calm now, it's going to be a beautiful spring day.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.