Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2977 - 09/19/06 10:21 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
CO Offline

Loc: State Hopper
I'm new to snaring this year. I'll be around alot of cattle, so I'm using BAD's for sure. It's just finding the right one that's the question. Bought some J hooks. Don't like the looks of them one bit. So I'm going to try using 1 strand of a 7x7. Anybody use this set up?

#2978 - 09/19/06 10:27 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
To the best of my knowledge, one strand of 7X7 has never been tested as a break away device.

What's wrong with your j-hooks and what kind do you have?

quest -- Hal

#2979 - 09/19/06 10:34 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
CO Offline

I bought some J hooks from The Snare Shop. They won't close down tight enough. Seem to relax back open after awhile. I don't trust the cable not to come off.
I heard Steve Wood from Nevada tested the one strand at 300 with the 5/64 and 215 with the 1/16.
I'm going to give it the field test this year.

(Edit: Please edit your profile and indicate what state you are from. Thanks. -- Hal)

#2980 - 09/19/06 11:29 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Hal Offline

How will you rig this? And what kind of lock are you going to use?

quest -- Hal

#2981 - 09/19/06 11:50 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Some time ago, Slim described a similar proceedure for making BADs from cable.

If you want to use "s" hook BADs I highly recomend that you try those produced and sold by the owner of this site. They are preformed, are easily installed and closed to their original QC shape. I've tried anumber of types and will now only use and recomend the Sullivan BADs when speaking of "s" BADs.

#2982 - 09/19/06 12:08 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Hal Offline

Thanks Tom.

Also note that you can take my s-hood BAD, clamp half of it in a vice, twist it 90 and make a j-hook out of it.

smile -- Hal

#2983 - 09/19/06 01:56 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
CO Offline

I'm using cam-locks. Attaching the BAD
with a double ferrule.
The s hook sounds good. That's what I'm looking for is testimonials.
I was using the j hook to attach a dispatch spring. Can't do that with the one strand set-up.

#2984 - 09/19/06 06:09 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
WACKYQUACKER Offline

I use many snares with cams-"S" BADs-and springs...they work well. There is one thing, I see no reason to make a "7" bend in the cable when using a spring and BAD; just run the cable through one eye of the "s" add the spring, small washer and stop.

#2985 - 09/19/06 07:06 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
CO Offline

That's good to know. I had a heck of time getting the 7 in there with the cam-j-spring.
I'm going to get some of those s hooks.
Would the springs work with the Gregerson breakaway locks? (Lock-spring-washer-stop)

(Edit: I asked you to update your profile to indicate what state you are from. The last time I checked "Hopper" was not a state. Goodbye. -- Hal)

#2986 - 09/19/06 08:25 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
WACKYQUACKER Offline

I've not used Keith's locks and cannot give you an answer. But Why use a disposable lock when you have cams and BAD's?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.