Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2987 - 09/20/06 12:46 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A "moose-stop", lol. I realize you guys around BIG big-game like elk and moose need some type of BAD. A while back I heard a rumor about someone trying a smaller pin, in Cam-locs, something like a "shear-pin", that would "break" at say 300#, I can see where that would work, if they were machined to close tolerances. That was a few years ago, so, I guess that didn't pan-out.

Think about how much snare locks have changed, improved over the last 20 years. Tom Krause wrote a couple lines in his snaring book, or one of his articles (don't remember) about possibly using some type of "plastic/nylon" lock. At first I brushed the idea off, but it needs another look. Tom is a far better snaresman than me. Think about the "stuff" these "wire-ties/zip-ties" are made of, pound for pound it's stronger than steel. Not sure if it's nylon or what, but if a person had a "mold" or "jig", you could change the breaking strength, by molding your lock .001" thicker or thinner, or molding the "end-hole" closer or farther away from the edge. If you look at the new locks, that the Snare Shop, and Newt are selling, these locks could be molded from plastic/nylon. I have been playing with one of Newt's type, haven't had a chance to see the Snare Shop's "micro-loc" yet. I don't know if anyone is working on a "nylon-break-away-lock", it needs a closer look. Like anything, at first it'll have "bugs", that need to get ironed-out, it's worth thinking about. smile

#2988 - 09/20/06 01:41 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Fuzzyface Offline

Loc: WA/ID
The camlocks with sheer pins are still available but expensive.

I will second Wackyquackers comments on Hal's bads. They are on almost all my snares now. They make a nice J-hook too.

#2989 - 09/27/06 03:22 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
foxboy43 Offline

Loc: coldspring mn
i thought that camlocks locked!!!! we just got snaring back in the southern part of the state last year i only caught two but both of them didnt relax at all. i picked them because i didnt want racoons giving me issues with the opposeable thumbs. saw a lock called thompson release lock that looks like it may deliver. personaly i like the heavy locks and loaded cable, bump the bottom of the cable and it is closed. as far as the deer and dog issue i plan on passing on sets that leave any dought. top of snare has to be no higher than 16" so fox coon skunk and mink will be my targets and use foothold for coyotes

#2990 - 09/27/06 04:11 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"i thought that camlocks locked!!!!"

Are there locks that don't lock? If a lock doesn’t lock, is it still a lock?

quest -- Hal

#2991 - 09/29/06 12:47 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
smile (foxboy, next time you get a chance, look at a coons foot a little closer. possums have a "thumb"(one on each back foot), not coons).

One thing that I don't like about the BADS, it just seems like another piece of "junk" that animals may see. For you guys that have used BADs, is that all in my head, or does it make sense? In the past, I've tried to use the smallest locks on the market, I always figured that if I could see it, critters could too. smile

#2992 - 09/29/06 02:33 AM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
I snare coyotes annually. I use either camlocks with tensioning springs (compression or stingers) or Ambergs. On my cams I use "s" hook BADs. I'm not certain that you can hang more junk in the air than this when snaring...I seem to manage a bunch of coyotes.

My experience tells me that the lock etc hanging well above the eye level of at least coyotes, cats and gray fox is of little importance. The size of the cable can make a bunch of difference, particularly when you are comparing 3/32 and 5/64. I see less of a difference between 5/64 and 1/16. However, if I am concerned I hang 1/16.

#2993 - 10/01/06 03:43 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
nvbobcat Offline

Loc: Nevada
CO - the method mentioned by wackyquacker -- about Slim mentioning a similiar method is the same method you are talking about. I developed the BAD using snare cable, tested it and sent it to Slim to test. He published it in his book so it could be shared with other snaremen. Making BADs with used cable is essentially free and very effective. I have never held a deer, horse or cow when using these breakaways. At the same time I have never had a bobcat break one. For 10' snares I use one of the larger strands from a piece of 7x7 5/64th cable. A trapper named Steve Craig has used it extensively and really likes it. He made some BADs to operate at a lighter poundage by removing one of the smaller strands from this piece of 5/64th cable. It held the smaller coyotes but the larger ones were able to break free. So the rating of the cable is very close to perfect for holding coyotes when using one of the larger strands of the 7x7 5/64th cable.

#2994 - 10/01/06 07:09 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
285lb BAD for wolves

Don't catch many wolves, do you? I let one go from my 760lb BADs every now and then.

One things that concerns me greatly about deer stops and break-away devices is that they may give a trapper a false sense of security.

Amen. A 250lb BAD will hold an adult cow (figure 1500lbs) moose - if she's nose-caught. I've caught 3 moose in hanging several hundred snares for a decade or so. 2 of them were my first year. Use yer head!

in Cam-locs, something like a "shear-pin"

They're hard to set up and inconsistent. The first characteristic is forgiveable.

Are there locks that don't lock? If a lock doesn’t lock, is it still a lock?

Those are mainly used on "cable restraints," which are apparently PETA-approved non-snares (that happen to look and work just like snares). mad

I use split Thompson locks for wolf breakaways. It's a great system in that it doesn't hang any more crap on your snare or change anything about the functionality, and it does that with the lock I'd use anyway. It's also amazingly consistent - several hundred have been pulled on F&G's digital snare tester, and they all break about the same. Wolves confirm this! Has this been tested for smaller critters? If not, someone could get "rich" hacksawing snare locks up!

#25437 - 10/25/17 06:25 PM Re: Fox, Yote, Cat Snares: Deer-Stop vs Break-Away-Device??? Pros/Cons [Re: redsnow]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.