Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3050 - 10/16/06 04:45 PM Pound Down Trap Bedding
Dooger Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've been messing with this style of bedding my trap and have a question.

After you stake the trap in the hole and pound down a rim for the trap, do you fill the hole up with dirt (to the bottom of the rim) so your trap is more solid or do you just bed it on the rim and sift over it? I noticed that it's hard to sift over the trap because the fine dirt falls through the trap to the bottom of the hole. Plus, you can't pack inside the jaws.

Any thoughts?

#3051 - 10/16/06 04:52 PM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
ADKMtnTrapper Offline

Loc: South Carolina
whenever i us the pound down method i normally dont fill it back up partially because some of the dirt i pound down falls in and plus it gives you room to put your chain and such. Hope this helps!

#3052 - 10/16/06 04:58 PM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Dooger Offline

So how are you packing dirt in between the jaws if your not using a pan cover? All my dirt falls right through and I really don't want to use a ton of my dried dirt to fill the hole so I can get another half inch of dirt over the trap and pan.

#3053 - 10/17/06 08:18 AM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"…do you fill the hole up with dirt (to the bottom of the rim) so your trap is more solid…"

You are missing one of the prime advantages in using this system. Having a hollow spot underneath the middle of the trap keeps the trap from becoming "high centered" on the chain/swivels or whatever hardware you have underneath there. If you put too much dirt under the trap, it will become high centered and will be less solid.

As 920 said above, ordinarily a lot of dirt will fall back into the hole when you pound down the rim. If not, don't be afraid to throw a handful or two under the trap before you bed it. Just don't use so much that the hardware will not pack down into it.

That said, if you are forced to use your dry dirt, or some other non-ambient trap covering, then you may want to go ahead and use a pan cover. I use a coffee filter because it will fit under both jaws and effectively seal off the bottom of the trap, saving dirt from falling down into the hole.

smile -- Hal

#3054 - 10/17/06 08:27 AM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
you are really going to be needing to use some kind of pan cover or poly fill or something to keep dirt from getting under the pan. I've seen some use peat moss and get away without a pan cover but you said you had dry dirt right?

then for your hole, the purpose of the pound down method as i interpret it, is to disturb just enough ground to get your trap in there so the ground around it is undisturbed. i believe the same would go underneath it. if you bury your stake and coil up your chain and set your trap in there and there is still a large void, then you are digging your stake and chain hole too deep. if you can get it so the trap is nearly setting almost in contact with the chain, then you should be able to sift dirt back over and pack inbetween the jaws and be using less dirt than if you didn't use the pound down method.

#3055 - 10/17/06 11:13 AM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Dooger Offline

Thanks guys. I just thought that I noticed you didn't use a pan cover in you Canines 2000 video, Hal. That'll solve it I think.

#3056 - 10/17/06 11:21 AM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Hal Offline

Ordinarily I don't. But it is a different story when you start having to use dry dirt.

smile -- Hal

#3057 - 10/17/06 01:17 PM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Dooger Offline

What if you don't use dry dirt then? Are you packing inside the jaws then?

#3058 - 10/17/06 02:42 PM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Hal Offline

Yes.

smile -- Hal

#3059 - 10/17/06 05:38 PM Re: Pound Down Trap Bedding
Dooger Offline

Got ya.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.