Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3128 - 10/06/08 01:38 AM Fisher Trapping
Wis Trapper Offline

Loc: South West Wisconsin
I drew my first Fisher tag this year and was wondering if anyone had some knowlege they would be willing to share with me. I've trapped for many years in SW Wisconsin but have never trapped fisher. Sadly my vacation days are limited and I only have about 5 days to spend at it. From what I've read I could be lucky the first day or it could take weeks to connect. Any tips are greatly appreciated

#3129 - 10/09/08 01:17 PM Re: Fisher Trapping
HotFoot Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Beaver or venison above a 160 or 220 on a leaning pole is the basic set. There's generally lots of info in the achives.

#3130 - 10/09/08 01:52 PM Re: Fisher Trapping
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
A box with a killer trap, along with a loud lure (such as Forget's XLDC), will get you one.

They turn a pretty big circle so 5 days isn't a big window to nail one.

#3131 - 10/11/08 06:32 AM Re: Fisher Trapping
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I use the leaning pole set. My pole is 4 to 5 in. in diameter and placed at a 45' angle. I use a 160 or 220 body grip with the bait beyond the trap no more than 10 inches, no less than 6.I use woodchuck, muskrat, beaver and whole chickens feathers and all, The bait is wired on and some cover is placed over the bait so the birds cant see it or get to it as good. Any body grip holder will work or you can use nails to hold the trap. When the fisher goes up the pole it will be running thus the small pole. The small pole also keeps the fox and cats off. I put several drops of call lure above the bait on the pole and four or five drops going down the pole from the trap to the ground. About twenty feet from the set I smear a mix of skunk essence and vassiline on the bole of a tree about 6 or 7 feet off the ground. This brings them in and then they start looking.

check out Bob Noonans fisher trapping vidio he has a welth of knowledge and has shared it with us.
Good luck,
littleguns

#3132 - 10/13/08 01:15 AM Re: Fisher Trapping
Wis Trapper Offline

Loc: South West Wisconsin
Thank you all. I just received Bob Noonans Guide to Fisher Trapping in the mail. With this and the help of you guys I hope to be successful this winter. thanks again and good luck to you this season

Brad

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.