Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3447 - 02/02/07 05:34 PM size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
Steve Gilliland Offline

Loc: Kansas
How big and how far above the ground do you make and set snare loops for coyotes. I finally seem to have my location right, but today fresh coyote tracks went down a trail and right through the snairs at 2 locations. I'm very frustrated! HELP!!

#3448 - 02/02/07 06:50 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
wv trapperjohn Offline

Loc: WV
Im new to the use of a snare but the guy who showed me has caught alot of yotes in snares and he showed me to set them 8 or 9 inches off the ground and a 9 to 10 inch loop.Seems to work real good for him. I just put mine out so we will see how my luck goes with them

(Edit..Please no second hand information..Ric)

#3449 - 02/02/07 06:57 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
The bottom of the loop should be 10" to 12" off of walking surface. I make a 12" loop. Load it so that it is round or kidney shaped. NOT tear dropped.

Best to set in the middle of a trail, not at the beginning of a transition. Like at the edge of a road. Let him get moving along the line 25 or 30 yards.

The best place is where they are trotting along going somewhere. Not where they are hunting, or sleeping.
somewhere in between. long straight trails are what to look for.
After awhile you will see them. Most people don't.
It's hard to explain. Ever get on your knees to look across a field
and find the easyest way to do it.

If a trail is good for one snare make two or three.

Don't set on the horizon. dips and low spots work better.

Blend a little if you can. Don't go over board.

Use a chin lift under loop or hang a VERY SMALL long piece of
grass or something off the bottom of the loop to get a fox to raise it's nose.

Make sure snares are boiled and clean. Handle with clean gloves
Wear clean boots and stay on trail , Do not wander off trail and
come back to snare. Walk over it., and keep going.

If a coyote knows they are there they avoid them. a fox may jump over them. But a new animal will come along sooner or later. Leave them there. Better than in your truck....

Avoid setting near full moon. Wait till it darkens up a bit.

These are my opinions I may be wrong.
About the time I think I know what I'm doing, Seems the yotes get smarter..

Where I caught 3 coyotes in a hedgerow trail last year, there has not been one set of tracks through there at all this year. Coyotes are still there, but they won't use that trail crossing. I believe the old dog taught the youngin to avoid it.

But, there's a cable restraint there and I check it everyday.......

Hope this helps a little. There's better snare people out there
than me.
archer01

#3450 - 02/02/07 07:01 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
P.S.
I just noticed your from Kansas. I don't know how big your coyotes are. Here in Pa. We have good size canines.

If your coyotes are the western smaller type. My measurements I gave you might be too high.......

archer01

#3451 - 02/02/07 08:11 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Steve,

Were the loops closed on your snares?
What size loop and clearance did you use on the two snares?

Don't get too frustrated, snares are very forgiving and those yotes will be back around.

RO smile

#3452 - 02/02/07 08:32 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
Steve Gilliland Offline

Loc: Kansas
River Otter
I'm unable to get my loops to hang round, so they are tear drop shaped, 9-10 inches long at the longest point and 8 inches across at the widest part, 6-7 inches off the ground. My snares have a short tension spring at the top that seems to be more hassle than anything and makes it impossible to get a round loop. How can I get the loops round or do they need to be? The trails are cattle trails up and down the sides of a very steep drainage ditch. I've seen fresh tracks 2 days in a row now, one set down the middle of the frozen ditch. The set today went right down the trail and evidentally right thru my sets; there were feash tracks, seeminly uninterupted, on both sides of the snares. Didn't think a coyote could go thru that loop so easily.

#3453 - 02/02/07 10:03 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
foxboy43 Offline

Loc: coldspring mn
in MN we are limited to a 10" loop and the top of the loop can be no higher than 16" on bare ground or from the bottom of a footprint in snow. this was my first year snaring for coyotes, i like to use a jump stick to get a coyote to duck enough to put their head into the loop. i dont think it is necessary to use the middle of the trail, otherwise a crawlunder wouldn't work my successful sets were right on the begining of the trail coming out of a drainage ditch. if possible watch some dvd's or vidieo's i understood more about why my sets worked

#3454 - 02/03/07 05:49 AM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I can get a better round loop out of 1x19 cable as opposed to 7x7.lots of trappers seem to prefer the 7x7, though.

Archer: Good advice on snaring anything. smile

#3455 - 02/03/07 11:30 PM Re: size and placement of snare loops for coyotes
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Musher,
1x19 does make a much nicer loop, but its the closing speed of 7x7 that I like.

Mike,
Archer refered to "loading" snares. To do this, take an open snare and pull the first 6-8" of cable between your finger and your thumb a few times. This will help round out your loop, but don't expect a perfect circle with 7x7. I use a 17ga support wire that I wrap around the top portion of my snare that enables me to set the pitch of the loaded portion.

I don't know what regulations your state is under, but an 8"ish diameter loop that is 6-7" off the ground is not a coyote setup. Your coyotes are hitting your snares with their chest and carrying on. General rule of thumb is 10-12" diameter loop and 10-12" off the ground. Your way further ahead with a higher loop and a suttle chin up stick than trying to make a coyote duck down.

That short tension spring you mentioned, is it a dispatch spring? If so, you will likely need a support wire to help with the extra weight.

RO smile

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.