Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3599 - 11/24/05 03:55 PM Coons Self-inflicted Biting
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
How do you prevent coons from biting their feet?Other than my drowning sets most of the coon have bit at their feet. mad I'm not too thrilled about this.Any advice would be helpful.Thanks-Paul

#3600 - 11/24/05 06:07 PM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
chuckieo Offline

Loc: Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
Paul, What size trap are you using?A trap with a smaller jaw spread makes it more difficult for a coon to chew on his toes. My experience has been a coon will work on the foot under the jaws of the trap, this is where the circulation is cut off and the foot is numb.Are you allowed to use coon cuffs,snares or 220 conibears in your state?
Good Luck, Chuckieo

#3601 - 11/24/05 06:18 PM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
mooch Offline

Loc: sullivan co. Indiana
i had this happen today, i think that it was becouse i was not able to run the traps before day light. i think then the sun comes up those coon realy get mean and want to get in to a tree or hole!!!!

mooch

#3602 - 11/24/05 07:47 PM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Use a double jaw trap for dryland coon sets.

frown -- Hal

#3603 - 11/25/05 02:17 AM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
born2trap Offline

Loc: arkansas
Smaller jaw traps and double jaws are good suggestions(11's and 1 1/2's). On dry land when I am after coon, I target the back foot. I never noticed any chewing on a back foot catch on coon. I think he is too busy pulling and digging. Just make sure to use strong traps for the back foot. As for as time of day. If I run my traps later in the mornings, the coons are normally asleep when I get there.

#3604 - 11/25/05 02:19 AM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
snydboshawn Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
I use stop loss traps on land sets for coon almost exclusively. They are a little harder to set, but when they connect correctly, no way a coon can even get to their hands to chew out. The stop loss sort of holds them at arms length if you will....Happy thanksgiving everyone.

#3605 - 11/25/05 11:35 AM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
Like Hal said the double jaw works good and the offset jaw. The offset won't put the foot to sleep but if uou only catch the toes you lost the coon.
cool
There are pros and cons for everything.
For every action, there is a reaction.

#3606 - 11/25/05 02:11 PM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
I use #1c/s and #11/2 c/s.I'll definitely be buying some dbl. jaw traps now.-thanks

#3607 - 11/30/05 04:17 AM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I've still lost coons in double jaw traps though it does help to use them. Try setting up for a back foot catch.

#3608 - 11/30/05 03:36 PM Re: Coons Self-inflicted Biting
Wm Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, Virginia
It also bothers me to find a coon in my trap with toe-chewing. That's one reason why I usually set bodygrip or drowning sets for coon.

But, for the sake of enlightening discussion, if the coon's foot is numb and he chews on it below the jaws, he probably doesn't feel the pain. And since he will be dispatched anyway, does no chewing result in less suffering?

Or, do we prefer no chewing for the sake of our image as trappers?

William Hester

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.