Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3732 - 07/02/02 03:00 PM Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
I had the kids out today and the dog next door was sniffing around the yard.It is about the same size of a eastern yote.When the dog bent over to sniff something it put it's foot to the center of it's chest and all the weight was on one leg.

With that said. How much offset do you use at the set for trap placement?I use 2 inchs,but now it seams that straight on would be better.Whatta think???

#3733 - 07/02/02 03:42 PM Re: Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
I don't think I would mess with success. If you are already having good luck with the placement that you are using..2" or so, I wouldn't change it. Individual animals will work the set in different ways, depending on all the varying circumstances, especially their past experiences and their sense of association.(and how hungry they are) I have caught a few easterns by both front feet and two by their back feet, so go figure. I assume the two I caught by the rear feet were in the proccess of leaving me their calling card, as evidenced by the fresh scat at the set site, I just happened to get lucky with them. I would go with what has worked best for you in the past.

#3734 - 07/02/02 05:12 PM Re: Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't offset.
:)-- Hal

#3735 - 07/02/02 05:49 PM Re: Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
I'm with Hal. I didn't know that I was suppose to offset when I first began trapping. I've always wondered if the whole offset thing was more important for Fox than Coyotes. Also, I use flats 10 to 1 over dirt holes.

#3736 - 07/02/02 05:51 PM Re: Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
Hal it was great meeting you at the PTA convention.I'm going to run a few of those cast jawed bridgers I showed you.Just got to see how they work.LOL.

MM I'll be heading your way the 8th of july.Can't wait to see maine....

#21619 - 12/13/14 11:09 AM Re: Offsetting Traps at Coyote Sets [Re: ewoktrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.