Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3779 - 08/11/05 01:21 PM Keeping dirt from under the pan
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
There are a lot of things trappers use to keep dirt from getting under the pan preventing it from working freely. I was wondering does anybody use a little piece of sponge, one of the rectangular dish sponges could possibly work. Think about it the sponge is compressable it will hold out dirt yet still allow the pan to drop. It should add some tension to the pan, this ofcourse depends on how soft it is. The down sides could be holding unwanted scent, soaking up water and freezing if it gets cold, added cost of buy them and probably replace them if an animal is caught. Just looking for your oppions or expierences on this subject. Thanks for listening

#3780 - 08/11/05 02:13 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
b/j Offline

Loc: canada ontario
I tried it and was not impressed. What I do now is use the "night latch " system .If it rains and the dirt gets hard and sets up around and under the pan I use a garden tool.The kind that has three or four claws and is about 10" long , the claws are hooked like your fingers would be . I use one of the claws and hook it under the pan and loosen the earth. It also works good to claw a bit at the hole set to freshen it's appearance up ! Takes seconds to do and works good!.......b/j

#3781 - 08/11/05 03:21 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
tom dud Offline

i agree with b/j the sponges are not all that great . i to use the night latch but when i dig my trap bed i leave a hole under the center where the chain goes . that way if it does rain a little dry dirt and you r back in business. no pan covers or anything. it takes awhile to get the hang of it but is very simple and works very well. the less complicated and time consuming the more profitable.

#3782 - 08/11/05 04:11 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Night latch and ant hill chaf under the pan. No pan drop, and the chaff keeps the dirt out during rains.

#3783 - 08/11/05 05:31 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
I'm surprised more people than I thought appartently tied it. I never have used this method I usually stick with a nightlatch, and the stake is in a hole under the trap with the trap itself sitting on a ledge pounded down. I got this set in an FFG arctile written by Hal.

#3784 - 08/12/05 12:03 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Eldridge, Alabama
Poly fill is what I use, you can get a big bag of it at wal mart for a couple of bucks, enough to last you all season. Is what they use to stuff pillow's with for those that wonder what section it will be in. You can stuff it under the pan's of all your traps the night the before you set out and it will speed you up a little as all you do is grab a trap set it and cover, the fill is already in place.

#3785 - 08/12/05 01:13 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
Kevin Upperman Offline

Loc: PA
I do the same as Jackie does. Polyfill...

#3786 - 08/12/05 02:37 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
RdFx Offline

Loc: wausau, wi, usa
I found the poly fill works great unless it freezes hard and you had alot of moisture before hand... water collects in polyfill and freezes.. trap pan no move LOL

#3787 - 08/15/05 12:28 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
I use Mr Coffee Brown coffee filters with a slit for the dog. Place under the loose jaw and cover with light coat of dirt or fine peat moss in freezing weather. Saw the same thing demonstrated by the USDA coyote trapper this summer. I get several uses from the same one before they need replacing.

#3788 - 08/19/05 03:26 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
I have used lots of sponge sponge (get it by the square metre) and have also used poly-type roof insulation batts as well as grease-proof paper on fox and dingo traps. All work well. Would use more sponge than anything tho grease proof paper is great when you are out bush for a few weeks as its easy to carry and replace anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.