Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3789 - 08/22/05 03:10 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
stu Offline

Loc: Cordova Maryland
With a properly adjusted trap pan i never use anything .except for real sandy soil which is another circumstance then I use cupcake pan liners to keep sand from settleing under the pan.

#3790 - 08/23/05 09:06 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
skidway Offline

Loc: Traverse City, Mi
Nothing under it-wax paper over it.

#3791 - 09/05/05 11:26 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
I use a cap, and pack the dirt down tight around the pan, nothing under it and a light sift of dirt over it.

#3792 - 09/06/05 04:17 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
Jack Turner Offline

Loc: Harrison, Ohio
My gosh, I have used eveything under the sun- wax paper, brown paper bags, plastic bags, trappers cap, sponge, moss, leaves etc. I still do not know what I prefer, honestly. After more than 15 years, I still battle what to use each season. This is, quite honestly, my biggest mental battle each season. I have found pros and cons to just about all of them.

#3793 - 09/18/05 09:41 AM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I'm not real consistant with this. I have some of my traps night latched. But now there are caps made for several different traps and I have four different caps that I use for Dukes and for Bridgers, and , sometimes I'll use wax paper for a pan cover.( I know, I know, some of you guys are shaking your heads, too much stuff right? )

Never tried putting anything under the pan except for dry grass wadded up and the only reason I tried that was because it was when I was just starting out canine trapping and A buddy of mine used that method without problems and suggested it. I didn't fair so well. I had too many sets that had a nice paw print right on the center of the trap bed and a partially depressed trap pan. I'll never put anything under the pan again.

#3794 - 09/18/05 03:45 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
If your trap pan was partialy depressed then it wasn't what was under the trap pan that failed you but the distance the pan had to travel before it went off.
If you have the right conditions and you have a very short pan travel you don't need anything under the pan or anything over the pan.But then we never have those perfect conditions do we.

In the early season when I don't have to deal with freezing and thawing conditions I use nothing under the pan and nothing over the pan.

When things get a bit tougher.
I like screen on my traps with a large jaw spread It dosen't work as well on a small jaw spread trap.
On small jaw spread type traps I like coffee filter material.

In sandy type ground I like to pack In dry dirt, since sand has a way of working It's way under your pan.I then just sift a light coat of the natural ground over the trap bed.
polyfill works pretty good If you feel you need something under the pan just make sure you have a drain hole In the bottom of your trap bed. this will help In draining away small amounts of moisture that may build up under your trap.

Try and go natural untill conditions dictate changes to something over the pan or under.

Beav

#3795 - 09/18/05 03:49 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Your probably right Gary. At the time when I was just breaking into the canine trapping scene, I was greener than green. Didn't know nothin about nothin.

#21746 - 12/13/14 05:38 PM Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan [Re: CoonCaller]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.