Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3796 - 02/07/06 02:46 PM Dispatching trapped coons?`
duckhunter_67502 Offline

Loc: Kansas
This year was my first trapping coons. I only managed three, and here is how the dispatching turned out. First was a medium sow, one .22 through the vitals and she went down quickly, the second was a large boar, took four shots through the vitals for same effect. On the last female, smaller the that first I gave her a rap on the skull and vital stomp. Although I thought this was the best scenario, when I skinned her the facial area was so bloody from the trauma it made skinning very difficult. Any ideas on dispatching. I was considering .22 short hollow points. Any input appreciated!

#3797 - 02/07/06 02:49 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Chase M. Offline

Loc: North Central Ohio
I just use 22. long rifle bullets. These seem to work out very well. The hole in the head is usually very small. And if you are lucky, there will be no exit hole. I am glad to give my help!

#3798 - 02/07/06 03:25 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Go to the archives search in both the land and general trapping sections.

#3799 - 02/08/06 06:13 AM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
drthol Offline

Loc: Missouri
I agree to much head trauma to knockout a coon.
If you are using a 22, use CB Longs. They are not very loud and will not have an exit wound. They also tend not to blow the skull apart so not near as much trouble or mess skinning.
I even use them for coyote and cat.
drthol

#3800 - 02/08/06 07:05 AM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Ric Offline

Either blunt force or shooting are acceptable methods for dispatching raccoon.Niether will produce excessive bleeding or trauma when done properly.When useing blunt force. Strike the top of the head or slightly towards the back of the head with enough force to immediately render the animal unconsious .A second blow may then be used to kill the animal if necessary.Shooting can be accomplished by useing an aiming point where lines visualised from the ears to the eyes cross, high on the front of the skull.If you damage the sinus/nasal cavities this will result in a greater amount of bleeding.I have found CB's both short and long cased varities to be marginal especially durring cold weather and perfer .22 short HP or .22sub-sonics.When useing cartridges with greater penatrateing capibility place your shot so the bullet stays within the body.Try not to shoot through.

Just for general information,the .22CB long produces lower velocity than it's short cased counterpart

#3801 - 02/08/06 01:06 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
duckhunter_67502 Offline

Loc: Kansas
Thanks for the input! I really appreciate all the information on get on this forum!

#3802 - 02/08/06 02:46 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
coonskinnner27 Offline

Loc: ohio
I don't take any firearm on my trap line. I take my trappers trowl or a rebar stake, and give the coon a good wack to the back of the skull. then lay the coon on its belly and lay my trowl accross the back of the neck right at the base of the skull. step on both ends of the trowl on either side of the coon. grab the coons back legs. and give a hard pull intil I hear the neck dislocate. this gives the coon a quick death with little blood.

#3803 - 02/08/06 03:41 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Levi Offline

Loc: Vandalia, IL
I simply use a 22 long rifle shell and shoot right between the eyes most of the time it drops them dead in one shot. the longest it took for them to die was 30 second.

#3804 - 02/08/06 09:02 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Render the animal unconscious with a sharp blow to the head, then, with the heel of your foot, shift your weight onto the ribs untill the animal is expired. Most importantly, this is a humane method and secondly, you will get very little blood if done properly. I use this method with just about all my critters. Never got bit. Don't have holes in the head and face when done and I don't have bloody pelts to clean up.

#3805 - 02/09/06 06:48 AM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Ric Offline

Trap Jaw.Are you implying that the other methods suggested are not humane? quest quest

#3806 - 02/09/06 03:09 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
trap jaw Offline

No, not at all. I was emphasizing that this particular method is humane as well as various others. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.

#3807 - 02/14/06 01:58 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Newtrapper07 Offline

Loc: Mondovi Wi
I have found that if you are trapping near water it is simple to take a forked stick and hold the head of the coon underwater this leads to them drowning with no blood

#3808 - 02/15/06 09:09 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
bclev Offline

Loc: Blairsville, PA
I don't want to open a can of worms as far as dispatch goes, but coons are tough critters. I use a firearm to dispatch all coon that aren't already at the end of the drowner. I urge a word of caution to all younger/inexperienced trappers who plan on using blunt force on coon. They are faster than they appear, and do "wake up" once in a while. The quickest way to ruin a fun day trapping is to get yourself roughed up by a mad coon.

#3809 - 02/16/06 01:15 AM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
henry fitzgerald Offline

Loc: Quakertown, Pa.
I had great results with 22 short hollow points. You have to remember a coons brain is not between the eyes, it's between his ears so shoot the coon between the ears on a angle that the bullet if it exits at all will exit under the bottom jaw. This is the fastest and most humane way to go. Coons are tough and head trama is not the way if you have lots of traps to check.

#3810 - 02/17/06 03:12 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
trap jaw Offline

Heny Fitzgerald, you wrote "Head trama is not the way to go if you have lots of traps to check" I do have lots of traps to check and lots of animals to skin. I've long ago given up on having bloodied up pelts to clean up from using a gun. Now, I'm not knocking those who use a firearm for dispatching, but blunt force followed up by steady chest compresion works very effectively no matter how many traps you have to check.

#3811 - 02/17/06 05:19 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
My first season also, I have trapped several racoons...

Don't carry a firearm.

Blunt force trauma works well, just have to calmly take a good aim, and use the proper amount of force. A catch pole works well in holding the racoon still.

Since racoons frequent water, and I primarily water trap, I have set everything up to Drown. Rinse 'em in the water, hang up to dry overnight. Skin, Flesh, and put up the next night. Seems to work well for me.

I have an assortment of coon traps, and next season they will all be attached to drowning rigs. Including my L'll Griz Getrz (which I plan to get more of). My 1-1/2 CSs for coon will be mostly used with PVC sets. I plan to signifigantly increase my coon catch utilizing a canoe. You can move faster, if the animal is already dispatched when you arrive at the set.

#3812 - 02/17/06 09:44 PM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?`
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
The last few years now I use a tap on the forehead to stun the coon. I then use a 22 short with a pistol and hold the end of the barrel about 1 inch from the skull. I usually try to have the entry poing in the middle of the forehead. Most times I get no exit wound, instant kill and very little bleeding. Many times I stand on the coon just to hold them still while they are tensing up just before succumbing to the wounds.

Bryce

#24112 - 09/21/16 10:44 AM Re: Dispatching trapped coons?` [Re: duckhunter_67502]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.