Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3898 - 06/19/05 08:37 PM Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
Mountain Cur Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I would like to here everyone's opinions, I am leaning towards offsets because I have a few victor 1 1/2 softcatches and I don't really like them, but if someone with plenty of livemarket experience convinces me otherwise then I'll suck it up and get some more rubberjaw traps wink !

#3899 - 06/24/05 08:37 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
In my opinion offset jaws do nothing to prevent foot damage. You still have a sharp edged jaw clamping down on the animals foot. I once used offsets with out lamination and had more damage then a regular jawed trap with out lamination.There Is more foot movement In offset jawed trap,that Is untill that foot swells up then It's a moot point.You will see very little damage on coyotes no matter what size or style trap you use.Now on fox It Is a different situation,especialy on grey fox.
The trap I use Is a 1.75 Duke with outside laminations.The chain Is shortend to about 8" and has three swivels points,one at the trap one mid chain and one at the stake.I still get some damage but It's not bad,about 2 out of 10 catches will show some minor damage. These animals are penned up and given a few penicilian shots and are good to go In a few days.I'm going to do some inside laminations this year and see If this helps.
The key Is to elimante all sharp edges and use lamination to soften the intial blow and keep your chains short to elimante lunging.
I have never owned or used a rubber jawed trap so I can't comment on there use.However I know persons that use the #1 1/2 sized rubber jawed traps and they seem to get alot of snapped traps and pull outs from your larger animals.
YTou will just have to try different set ups and see what works for you.

Beav

#3900 - 06/24/05 10:16 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Quote:
There Is more foot movement In offset jawed trap
why do you think that Gary?

Higher levers is a mechanical advantage that would seemingly lessen foot movement. I know you dislike offsets and feel there is no advantage, but I think I'd like to know why you feel there is more foot movement in an offset when compared to a regular jaw.

#3901 - 06/24/05 11:04 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I feel since there Is that gap the trap jaws won't be as tight as they will with out the gap,thus there could be some movment. Like I said above It's probably more of a problem with small footed animals like grey fox.
I understand the levers raising a bit higher on the offset jawed traps then on the regular jawed traps thus giving the trap more holding power but the gap Is still there. This may have been some advantage with the old low lever square jawed traps but with the new high lever and the different configuration of the new square jawed traps and round jawed traps, I don't think the slight difference the levers rise do to the offset has any advantage.

I trap about 50+ grey fox each year and offset jawed traps cause more damage to them then regular laminated jaws.I also laminated my offsets and that helped some but the problem was still there with the offset jawed trap.

Beav

#3902 - 06/27/05 07:24 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
kevinat Offline

Loc: Orem Ut
I would have to agree with The Beav. Here in Utah our regs specify offset. I see a lot of foot damage on the fox.

#3903 - 06/28/05 05:14 PM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
Mountain Cur Offline

Thx Beav, you may have saved me some money, I've got plenty of regular jawed traps that I wanted to laminate anyway, in fact I remember a grey that I caught last season in a plain ole victor 1 1/2, and he had hardly any foot damage, with laminations I can see where it would be even better, I'm gonn give it a try because these softcatch traps are junk. I do have a few offset bridgers, there is a guy making rubber jaw kits for them now so I will go ahead and convert them.

#3904 - 06/30/05 04:06 PM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
kill em and skin em............its a better choice !

#3905 - 07/01/05 07:00 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ?
Mountain Cur Offline

I know where your coming from buzz, because of another thread. I have mixed feelings myself, but I got ripped on the fox I sent to nafa and southern coyote sure as heck ain't gonna bring nothing.

#21734 - 12/13/14 11:35 AM Re: Offsets(laminated) or softcatch, wich is best for live market ? [Re: Mountain Cur]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.