Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3941 - 06/03/06 12:06 AM Traps in Weasel Boxes
ThumbStateTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
Just had a question about trap location and position in a weasel box. Should trap be positioned in front or back of box and should it be placed so they go over the front jaw or so they go between the jaws? Also what about using rat traps with small triggers? Bait placement? Any help is always appreciated. Thanx in advance fellas.

ThumbStateTrapper

#3942 - 06/03/06 08:00 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Rat traps work very well on weasels. Use wire to attach bait to the pan. The use of a box will prevent birds from working the bait and keep the trap functioning in snowy weather.

Best of luck. smile

#3943 - 06/04/06 02:21 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I use a box wide enough to accept the trap and long enough so the bait can be placed in the back of the box beyond the trap.I use a 1.5 coilspring.
The hole in the frount of the box is 1.5in. The trap is placed tight against the frount so the weasel goes through the hole and onto the trap.
I set the live jaw away from the hole and the dead jaw is partialy up so the base plate is touching the frount of the box and the springs are to the left and right. When the weasel hits the pan it is suit cased like a body grip.
Warning: anchor the trap well, with a swivel at the anchor. I have caught coon and fisher in this set and learned the hard way by loosing a trap because of improper anchoring.
littleguns

#3944 - 06/23/06 08:45 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
grry10 Offline

Loc: Warrens, WI
I do use boxes for trapping weasels. My boxes are made to use 1&1/2 LS. I place the trap so a weasel can't hoop the trap as they enter, with the bait in the back.

#3945 - 06/24/06 01:45 AM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I modify my rat traps with a pop rivet and a square of folded pop can metal.
I never bait the trigger, as the mice love the boxes as well, and if the bait is on the trigger I get more sprung traps.
I have a double mesh wall in the back of my boxes for the bait to go into.
Trap pan is just inside the hole of the box.

My boxes have removeable lids as well which come in handy in freezing conditions when occasionally a weasel/squirrel is frozen in the hole with hips and shoulders on either side. I just swap out lids and carry on.

RO smile

#3946 - 06/26/06 09:16 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
AndyZWI Offline

Loc: Central Wisconsin
First I must say waht a great resource this is. I am a newby to the site.
Thinking about tapping weasels this year, want to know what most of you are using for traps and the size of the box.
Thanks AZ

#3947 - 06/27/06 08:22 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Like Musher responded, the Victor rat snap traps work very well in my opinion. Bait the trigger and lure the top side lip of the hole with some quality weasel lure, and set on loaction.

I've tilted the box in this photo so you can see the set up. The box is set flat at the base of this root structure where sign was aparent.

#3948 - 07/07/06 10:25 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Examples, please, of bait and lure. (hopefully something from the larder!) Frank. cool

#3949 - 07/08/06 01:33 AM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Mallard: nice pic! smile

Any bloody piece of meat makes good bait. Beaver liver is fine. Wet it a little and freeze it to the trigger.

#3950 - 07/26/06 03:43 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes
trapperjd Offline

Loc: illinois
what type and size of wood do you use to build the weasel box? how do you prevent the tree rats from chewing the box up? thank you for any help.

#25353 - 10/17/17 05:18 PM Re: Traps in Weasel Boxes [Re: ThumbStateTrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.