Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#3951 - 12/02/10 09:08 PM Blood about trap area
chain Offline

Loc: pa
I have been with out with others when dispatch animals. (Head shots)That they would hurry up and release trap from animal and move the aniaml as fast as possible away from trap area to let it bleed out. I asked why and been told that other animals avoid that area. I don't believe it because we are talking about animals who kill to survive and blood is part of their life. Any input on this as opinions or facts to help clear this up.

#3952 - 12/03/10 04:18 AM Re: Blood about trap area
halfrack Offline

Loc: Chatham, Va.
I find that blood on a trap bed will make them dig. I use a catch pole to move the animal away from the set if not ten feet and dispatch it. Began doing this currently this year and I feel I have caught more than last year already.

#3953 - 12/03/10 09:15 AM Re: Blood about trap area
chain Offline

Loc: pa
Halfrack,why do you think you caught more animals from what you posted? Was your traps getting dug up and sprung from them digging around in the blood close to your trap bed? What was your observation of the area where the blood was on the ground when started to move the animals away before dispatch?

#3954 - 12/03/10 12:09 PM Re: Blood about trap area
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"we are talking about animals who kill to survive and blood is part of their life"

That is a salient observation. Why on earth would an animal be afraid of blood?

However, blood is a food source and can stimulate a digging response. You do not want blood in your trap bed. That could lead to dug-up traps. Blood in the catch circle, otherwise, isn't that much of a problem.

That being said, I don't really want overt distraction around the set when I'm trying to steer the animal into the trap. If there is massive blood loss (as in a puddle of blood) I take my trowel, scoop it up, and throw it yonder. Otherwise, a few drops or smear of blood is of little consequence to me.

Hal

#3955 - 12/05/10 07:20 AM Re: Blood about trap area
redsnow Offline

Loc: WV
Here's an observation from my line: A while back I had my "skinner" riding with me. He's a trapper also, and constantly on my butt about bloody heads, etc.

Long story short, I head-shot a fox, took it out of the trap and began the remake, Ole Skinner grabs the carcass, carries it across the 2-track (15-20 feet), holding it by it's back legs, until I'm ready to go. We got a little snow that night, just enough to track. The next morning, I tracked where a fox made one trip past that set, and walked all over the place where the previous fox had bled out.

If I end up with a puddle of blood in the catch circle, I'll move it out of my work zone. If it's behind or off to the side of the trap, I cover it with a scoop of dirt or grass. The only reason I cover it, is to keep crows/hawks, etc. from messing with it. I figure if an animal wants to sniff around blood, I'll keep it near the set. smile

#3956 - 12/16/10 04:54 PM Re: Blood about trap area
Geppy Offline

Loc: Fort Loramie, Ohio
i use blunt trauma for everything but fox and coyote, accept when its a toe catch, dont wanna risk knocking a good coon loose. as far as blood in my bed, i dont have enough experience to know.

(edited by musher for correct terminology)

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.