Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#406 - 08/11/14 04:51 PM Left or right "handed"
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
There was a discussion on here a year or two ago about which paw seemed to be the dominant paw for coyotes. And--- I have read many articles, written by trappers, that say to bed your trap back and to the right. BUT-- I was just looking at some pictures that I took of catches last year and there are some nice ones showing a left, front foot catch. This makes me wonder if the animal leans on their left, front foot, at a set, leaving their right foot free to use as a "probe" to paw at, or dig at, the attractor or scent. Sometimes, in my woodpile, I grab a snake and throw it out for the dog to get. He always uses his right, front foot to paw at the snake, before he grabs it with his mouth. { non-poisonous}

I am thinking that this fall, I might pull a few coyote set traps a little bit to the left, just to change things up a bit. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Ron

#407 - 08/12/14 03:44 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Well, what do y'all think? Speak up. -- Hal

#408 - 08/12/14 05:15 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I'm just a city dweller. I live on a street that has lots of walkers, walking for their health I assume. Many of them take their dogs along. And it just so happens that there is a fire hydrant located right in front of my abode. Being semi-retired, I get to sit on my front porch and watch the race---the human race that is. As the walkers stride past the hydrant, Fido naturally has to sniff the thing like a vacuum. (to this day I still don't see why every dog is not named 'Hoover') Most walkers will pause and let the dog have it's sniff, after which it will 'mark' the hydrant with it's own signature. I will have to say that 99% of the dogs will lift their right rear leg to do their marking, even if their coming from the opposite direction and have to turn around to do the job. Soooo, where does this leave this on this post? I'm thinking that from what I see, it doesn't matter if you off set the foothold trap to the right or left, cuzz you're gonna have a chance to catch either a front or rear left paw at the set. Right rear leg doing all the work, the other three just there for balance.

Just my 2d's worth, Frank.

#409 - 08/12/14 08:08 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
I remember reading that Major Broddicker analyzed data from a coyote study that resulted in a trap placement of (forget the exact measurement) inches back and offset (again, forget the exact measurement) so many inches to the RIGHT. The data indicating that this was the most used area by a coyote approaching a set.

Maybe someone remembers the proper number of inches.

#410 - 08/13/14 06:04 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am no pro here but but i can give you my thoughts. I put my face in the wind and set back 9 off 2 or 3 to the right. I have had good luck that. I can not speak for if they are left handed or not. I think it all depend on witch way the wind is blowing as to how they approach the set.

#411 - 08/15/14 10:15 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Good question. Makes me chuckle as it brings to mind the biblical story of Jesus admonishing the fishermen to cast their nets on the other side of their boat and their resulting incredible catch.

Do the animals indeed have a dominant "hand" or do they simply react to our subconscious placing of the trap/guiding in relation to our dominant hand?

Are there any left-handed trappers who set to the left? If so what are their observations?

Mike

#412 - 08/17/14 07:06 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
K-zoo Offline

Loc: Otsego,MI
I watched a demo yesterday by Mark June at our state convention. He cited the info that Mike mentioned about Major Boddiker (sp), it was decided upon, after all the studies that Major did, that the pan should be 9" back and 3" to the right. If you haven't had a chance to see one of Mark's demos, do so if you get a chance. I've seen him many times. He's a very dynamic and enthusiastic man who loves what he does.

#413 - 08/17/14 08:43 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I understand the 9" back from the attractor if it is a flat set. What about a dirt hole? 9" from the center of the hole or the nearest edge of the hole?

#414 - 08/21/14 08:39 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I put my trap back about 9 inches then offset it to the side that will be the easiest to blend in and look natural. There are times that wind direction will be my deciding factor. I offset all my coyote sets regardless of what type set it is.

#415 - 08/23/14 09:05 PM Re: Left or right "handed"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ron, I go back 9 from the front edge of the hole to the center of the pan. not saying you have to do that but it works for me.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.