Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4206 - 08/08/05 07:53 PM how to trap pocket gophers?
kansas coonman Offline

hey guys my dad has a problem with these dang pocket gopher in his alfalpha field. they are all over the place does anybody know anything about trapping them thanks eric confused

#4207 - 08/08/05 08:16 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
They don't like light, so open up their mounds and they will surface to plug them off. As far as traps, there are a few that are dsigned for pocket gophers specifically. They are a tough animal to control especially if your neighbors leave their land untrapped.

RO

#4208 - 08/08/05 08:33 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
kansas coonman Offline

do you have to use the gopher traps? and do you think that i could use a small sized trap like a #o or #1 as i have lots of these traps on hand thanks eric

#4209 - 08/09/05 05:30 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Gophers can be caught with rat traps. (look like giant mouse traps) Gophers will eat things from weeds to earth worms, so bait some traps with sweets, like mini-marsh mellows, and other traps with perhaps chunks of sardines, and see which bait attracts the most gophers. Since the type of trap is a killer type, staking in not a worry. Check and empty the traps at least once a day. Maybe save some carcusses for bait, if your state will allow, for other trapping. Good luck, and have fun!! laugh Frank.

#4210 - 08/09/05 05:45 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
RiverOtter Offline

If you can get the trap down in the hole and still have room for the jaws to clear the sides then the foot holds should work.

I just find the specific traps are faster to set up and the mole is dead when you get there. I use the "Black Hole" traps and check morning and afternoon, as one hole can produce a few pocket gophers.

RO smile

#4211 - 08/09/05 06:16 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
kansas coonman Offline

thanks guys this is good info and you answered one of my next ? but i have one more ? to ask would a leg hold trap need to be bedded or concealed and also if i can use these gopgers for bait what would like to eat them coons,yotes,mink, and bobcat are what i will be trapping thanks eric cool

#4212 - 08/09/05 08:11 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
RiverOtter Offline

KCM, no you don't need to conceal the trap. Just bed it enough to stabilize it and have the jaws lay out to the sides(Body catch). As for bait, I would let them taint a little bit and then freeze whole for trapping yotes. I prefer fish and beaver meat for the other species you listed.

RO smile

"Foot Hold" traps not leg hold.

#4213 - 08/09/05 10:39 PM Re: how to trap pocket gophers?
kansas coonman Offline

o.k. thanks alot for all the good info. i'm going to give this gopher trapping a try i dont think it will be to hard to catch them because they are everywere thanks again eric cool

#21737 - 12/13/14 11:36 AM Re: how to trap pocket gophers? [Re: kansas coonman]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.