Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4646 - 12/17/05 05:29 PM Dogs in Traps
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
How do you feel about catching stray dogs in your traps. I don't know if you know that it is illeagle to knowingly let your dogs run off your property. Do gou get the dogs owner in troble (if it has tags) shoot it so it won't happen agian, or just let it go.

Personally If the dog has tags I will call the owner and tell them I have their dog and come and get it and thell them that The next time the cops could be envolvet

#4647 - 12/17/05 05:38 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
OKyote Offline

Loc: Wright City, OK
Whoa there!!!
Lets stay away from shooting incidentals!
What are you trapping for, and what kind of traps are you using?
A little help here guys???

#4648 - 12/17/05 05:58 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Don't shoot dogs. You can, however, call a dog warden to come and get them.

frown -- Hal

#4649 - 12/17/05 05:59 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Tall Pine Troy Offline

Loc: Oregon
Give a better description of the dog and your location. If I catch a dog that has been "let go" out in the mountians and it is all skin and bones I will do what is necessary. If I caught a tagged dog that looked healthy I would try to contact the owner.

#4650 - 12/18/05 05:01 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
Crickey! I dont know about you fellas, but over here there are also laws relating to the circumstances where you can shoot a domestic dog. In general, these relate to protection of livestock (when a dog is or is likely to attack). There are also issues relating to common law where the dogs owner may just get cranky enough to sue for malicious killing of an animal, even if it was "trespassing". i would strongly recommend you look at your local statutes before doing anything like shooting a trapped domestic dog.

Personally, I would not shoot one in a fit unless the dog was the target for the trap and it was all above board. Not good relations for trapping.
Mike

(edited for Mike..Ric)

#4651 - 12/18/05 05:32 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine

#4652 - 12/18/05 10:38 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
if your land trapping sooner or later youll catch dogs, a catch pole works wonders along with well swiveled traps.

the latter not being the cure all but a little friendlier in a twisted sort of way.

I dont like catching domestics, dogs or cats,but it happens,they generally find their way home a little sore footed for a day or two, but no worse for the wear, I personaly have no time to play the blame game or argue with pet owners as its a no win situation in most cases, so unless your looking for a good arguement over rover, there is no need to go looking for trouble as I see it...jim

#4653 - 12/18/05 03:37 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
Caught my first cat today, probably homeless.

Released it unharmed. It swam the creek and bolted... chuckle

Hopefully it will stay away from these sets, now... :p

#4654 - 12/19/05 11:47 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
If i caught a cat in a place were it could be someones pet id let it go, but if im trapping way out in the middle of nowwhere there definintly strays and there fair game. cats prey upon partrige, rabbits and other small game, thats the way i look at it.

#4655 - 12/19/05 12:41 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Here we go again.There are laws that pertain to domestic animals.You need to find out what they are and understand them.You don't write the laws.You don't enforce the laws.You do need to abide by them if you want to keep on trapping."Thats the way I look at it" is neither a valid reason to do something or an effective defence if what you happen to do is illegal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.