Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4656 - 12/19/05 01:59 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Just a question here, but if an animal is way out in the wild, I mean miles and miles from a dwelling of any kind, is it still domestic? I think that the law would see a cat or dog that way but just curious?

#4657 - 12/19/05 02:26 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Feral is the term for "domestic" animals that have gone wild. And in some instances it is within the law to kill feral animals. Years and years ago, in Michigan you could kill a dog if you caught it chasing deer -- and it didn't have to be feral. But I'll bet that law no longer stands.

Here is what we are trying to avoid. We are trying to avoid someone getting in trouble because they broke the law. If you know what the law is, you can follow it. Or, conversely, you can choose to break it -- being fully aware that you may suffer the consequences if you are caught.

Statements like "That's the way I see it." Are something you want to hear from an Art Critic, not somebody that’s advising on the legality of an issue.

And, I'm sorry but I can't possibly know what the laws might be in various jurisdictions. I do know you can't get in trouble for not killing a dog or a cat. Maybe there are some places you can do this. But… you better be damn sure you know what you're doing, and not follow around behind some fool hollerin' "That's how I see it." unless he is going to do your time and pay your fine.

frown -- Hal

#4658 - 12/19/05 02:43 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
KYBOY Offline

Loc: Wolf creek, KY
Where I live it is legal to kill any dog or cat that enters your property. Whether it has a collor or not. I know this because I have dealt with the law on this issue. A lot of people dont like it but they keep thier animals in check. Even though I can legally do it I would not except in extreme circumstances. I caught a stray dog in a #5 duke the other day. How it ended up in a beaver set Ill never know. Believe it or not it was released relatively unharmed. The only damage was a small cut above the pad.

#4659 - 12/19/05 03:32 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
OKyote Offline

Loc: Wright City, OK
Why would you want to shoot a domestic animal that was caught in your trap? Are you angry because a domesticated animal stepped on the pan of a trap that was set for a wild animal? It is afterall, still an animal. Are you retaliating against the owner for allowing pets to roam free? Again, the animal is not at fault. Personally, my conscience would not allow me to do it.
Just my thoughts.

#4660 - 12/19/05 04:31 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
In response to Hal's comments, I offer the following.

Over here a police seargent caught a cat and drowned it in a rubbish bin, in suburbia. He was charged with cruelty (for drowning the animal) and also charged with criminal malicious slaughter of an animal. His defense was that he thought it was feral but the magistrate said he did not believe him as he knew or should have known it was a domestic cat (next door). He was convicted, fined heavily, lost his job and now has a record.

Be sure of what the law says and if it allows it, be absolutely sure it is feral, or let it go.
Mike

#4661 - 12/19/05 06:30 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
on my last post everything stated was told to me by my local warden to be legal. he told me that any wild cat or dog caught should be exterminated.

#4662 - 12/19/05 07:34 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Remember fokes like I said if I can release the animal unharmed I will Im just trying to get others oppinion on this

Thanks

#4663 - 12/19/05 07:47 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The is no reason that you should not be able to release these animals. I suggest you carry a noose pole to help you do this.

smile -- Hal

#4664 - 12/20/05 03:54 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
foss4936
Member # 2770 posted 12-19-2005 07:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on my last post everything stated was told to me by my local warden to be legal. he told me that any wild cat or dog caught should be exterminated.

If he told you that he was stating opinion not fact. There is a huge difference.
Trappers are always crying about the anti this and the anti that. When a topic like this appears it leads me to believe that trapper education should cover critical thinking as well as other issues. I can not believe why some guys just can not understand why any one would not support trapping.

You set a tpap. You catch a critter like a dog or cat. You let it go. If you are using proper equipment there should be not problem. If you are not using proper equipment or don't know how to safely let a critter go, learn or quit. Don't take an opinion, even if it is from someone that should know, if the logic is faulty and or lacking. What expertise, back ground, etc. for your rational ("I thought it was wild") will you bring as your defense for your actions when you end the life of a pet?

I deleted my first post as all I could say was good grief.

Well,
Good Grief!

A trapper should behave in an honorable manner so that hopefully anything he does will not lead to the down fall of our tradition. Just my humble opinion.
Mac

#4665 - 12/20/05 11:32 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Always a chance of catching a domestic, but to date I've been fortunate. A domestic gets released....period. If a farmer has a ferral cat problem, and tells me they are a problem, then nothing more needs to be said. I know the law, and so does the farmer. Anyway....here in Michigan they are quickly taking away our tools, starting with snaring. Free casting hounds is a game played by few, but they carry a loud voice. The concern was tresspassing, free cast, dogs getting caught in legaly set snares on private property. The DNR has spoken, and the regulations changed to protect these tresspassing dogs. Body traps are next, and this seems fine with everyone except the law abiding trapper. It doesn't matter how cauciously we go about our business, we still have to give up the tools due to someone elses failure to control their hounds. It's a tought battle when THE ATTACK COMES FROM WITHIN the sportsman community. That said.......how should I feel about releasing a dog caught in a legaly set trap on private lands? My heart screams one answer, but my head calmly warns against this action. When dog runners have stumbled into one of my legaly set traps....the trap is either stolen, destroyed on site, or shot at. What a wonderful corner we're in...... Loose loose in my book, and the further we're pushed, the more I lean toward throwing reasoning out the door.

Keep your eyes on the enemy....especialy the enemy within.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.