Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4666 - 12/20/05 06:51 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Picture this: You are in your tree stand waiting for that massive buck you have seen and been wanting to take home. The buck steps into a clearing and turns broadside. As you are lining up to make your shot, here comes old Rover. Trotting along, tongue lolling, tail wagging, ID tag jingling on his collar. Bye Bye Bruiser Buck.

Now, I have asked several people about this. The answer is almost always the same, "I'd shoot that dirty, no-good, @#$%&**@! without a second thought!". Yet, I am a dirty, no-good, @#$%&**@! for even considering doing the same thing to a dog in my trap.

I have never killed a dog or a cat that was in my traps. I guess I just know better. But, it galls me to no end that there is such a double standard. Especially when it comes to domestics and trapping.

I am not suggesting that we kill domestics. But I for one, am getting tired of bearing the burden of responsibility for irresponsible animal owners. If my cattle get out on the road and somebody's new SUV gets trashed. Who is responsible? How many times do cattle break the fence and run on the road cause Rover decided to have some fun chasin' stock?

I agree with Mallard. How long till we lose trapping? Not to the likes of the AR groups. But to the efforts of other sportsmen who don't think we should be allowed to trap all for the sake of their dog(s).

If more people were responsible pet owners, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So, I guess I must remain the honorable, responsible trapper and just shrug my shoulders and say "shucks" when I catch somebody's animal.

Mike

#4667 - 12/21/05 06:39 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
hounds and pets are two different animals altogether a hound cant read or realize he may be tresspassing, it doing what he is suppose to.

a pet is usally caught due to a pet owners mistake or lazyness, has no bussiness to be out there on it own, or should I say in accordance with our local laws.

hounds are the one exception where I will try to go out of my way to contact the owner and return the hound in person , if his collar has a name and address, made alot of good contacts and friends over the years, which actualy opened some doors for me.

also met some jerks, mostly bird hunters, but the average local houndsman, I can usally work with, to work around each other...jim

#4668 - 12/21/05 09:49 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Jim, how are hounds and pets different? My mutt at home can't read either. As you know in NY there is a leash law. If the hound isn't hunting, he should be tied up. When he is hunting, the hunter should ask for permission where he is going to be running coon or whatever. That's my opinion. Just because he is chasing game doesn't mean he is exempt from crossing onto another person's property.

#4669 - 12/21/05 09:50 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Another quick thought, I too would work with the owner to get the hound back to where it belonged. But at the same time I would explain my displeasure with him running hounds on my land without permission.

#4670 - 12/21/05 01:32 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
the way I look at it and its only my opinion, is if a hound is set out on land that the houndsman has permission for and is legally hunting on and the hound is running a hot track and the critter say a fox cuts cross lots the houndsmans hands have been bound by the foxes route, dont know a hound worth its salt thats not gonna hot track where that track takes him and as long as the houndsman dosnt tresspass, I dont see how it can be illegal as that is pretty much the nature of the beast.

my mutt and yours or the typical domestic pet is bound by the leash law and therefore it seems we would be responsable for the tresspass and need to read for them seeing how they are on a leash so they wouldnt tresspass.

not saying thats how a judge would see it, but pretty much my feelings on the take....jim

#4671 - 12/21/05 02:30 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
bora Offline

Loc: Gowrie, Ia
Every dog I've ever caught has been released unharmed. But every owner has also been called to inform them their dog is running loose. A couple years ago I caught 2 dogs on the same trail in snares. A Dalmation and a Husky. The owner lived 4 miles away. Well The owner of the land I was trapping saw the dogs in the snare and released them himself. He recieved 14 stitches from being bitten by the Dalmation. I really thought I would lose trapping privledges over that, but he was very understanding. He was a trapper many years ago. I told him to CALL ME if a dog ever gets caught again and I would release them with a catch pole.I then called the owner and told them what happened and that they should pay for the doctor bills. Well to make a long story short I paid the doctor bill and was threatened with a lawsuit for catching the dogs.
I paid the doctor bill because they refused to, and the landowner didn't want to take legal action. However I laughed at them when they threatened legal action against me. I just told them to bring it on, my counter suit would then reimburse me for the doctor bill.
For those saying you can shoot someone elses pet on your property, in Iowa you may. ( I still couldn't and wouldn't do it) But a trapped pet on someone elses property, I don't think it would be legal.

#4672 - 12/21/05 02:33 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm with Jim here. If a person is out hunting their dog, and the dog chases game where it is not supposed to go, the hunter really can't help it and neither can the dog. However, if that dog runs into a legally set trap, in the process, the hunter has absolutely no standing to be mad.

"Pet" dogs, that are allowed to roam free are another matter entirely. Their owners make little or no effort to control them. Again, these dog owners have no standing to complain if their dogs wander away from home and get caught. In states that have leash laws, trappers can use this in their defense if trouble arises.

smile -- Hal

#4673 - 12/21/05 03:34 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
hatch Offline

Loc: ny
a shock collar will keep hunting dogs in line.
hatch

#4674 - 12/21/05 06:54 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
sorry if this is of topic: ive heard that once a dog especially house dogs start running deer they never quit, its in their blood.
And the only thing to do chain um up or get rid of them.

#4675 - 12/21/05 07:45 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
a shock collar will keep hunting dogs in line.
hatch
confused
You can wreck a good hound in short order with improper use of a shock collar. They are a tool to be used by someone who knows what their doing.
They are definately not used to pull hounds off the trail of a target animal.

RO frown

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.