Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4646 - 12/17/05 05:29 PM Dogs in Traps
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
How do you feel about catching stray dogs in your traps. I don't know if you know that it is illeagle to knowingly let your dogs run off your property. Do gou get the dogs owner in troble (if it has tags) shoot it so it won't happen agian, or just let it go.

Personally If the dog has tags I will call the owner and tell them I have their dog and come and get it and thell them that The next time the cops could be envolvet

#4647 - 12/17/05 05:38 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
OKyote Offline

Loc: Wright City, OK
Whoa there!!!
Lets stay away from shooting incidentals!
What are you trapping for, and what kind of traps are you using?
A little help here guys???

#4648 - 12/17/05 05:58 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Don't shoot dogs. You can, however, call a dog warden to come and get them.

frown -- Hal

#4649 - 12/17/05 05:59 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Tall Pine Troy Offline

Loc: Oregon
Give a better description of the dog and your location. If I catch a dog that has been "let go" out in the mountians and it is all skin and bones I will do what is necessary. If I caught a tagged dog that looked healthy I would try to contact the owner.

#4650 - 12/18/05 05:01 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
Crickey! I dont know about you fellas, but over here there are also laws relating to the circumstances where you can shoot a domestic dog. In general, these relate to protection of livestock (when a dog is or is likely to attack). There are also issues relating to common law where the dogs owner may just get cranky enough to sue for malicious killing of an animal, even if it was "trespassing". i would strongly recommend you look at your local statutes before doing anything like shooting a trapped domestic dog.

Personally, I would not shoot one in a fit unless the dog was the target for the trap and it was all above board. Not good relations for trapping.
Mike

(edited for Mike..Ric)

#4651 - 12/18/05 05:32 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine

#4652 - 12/18/05 10:38 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
if your land trapping sooner or later youll catch dogs, a catch pole works wonders along with well swiveled traps.

the latter not being the cure all but a little friendlier in a twisted sort of way.

I dont like catching domestics, dogs or cats,but it happens,they generally find their way home a little sore footed for a day or two, but no worse for the wear, I personaly have no time to play the blame game or argue with pet owners as its a no win situation in most cases, so unless your looking for a good arguement over rover, there is no need to go looking for trouble as I see it...jim

#4653 - 12/18/05 03:37 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Claude Offline

Loc: Freeman Missouri
Caught my first cat today, probably homeless.

Released it unharmed. It swam the creek and bolted... chuckle

Hopefully it will stay away from these sets, now... :p

#4654 - 12/19/05 11:47 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
If i caught a cat in a place were it could be someones pet id let it go, but if im trapping way out in the middle of nowwhere there definintly strays and there fair game. cats prey upon partrige, rabbits and other small game, thats the way i look at it.

#4655 - 12/19/05 12:41 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Here we go again.There are laws that pertain to domestic animals.You need to find out what they are and understand them.You don't write the laws.You don't enforce the laws.You do need to abide by them if you want to keep on trapping."Thats the way I look at it" is neither a valid reason to do something or an effective defence if what you happen to do is illegal

#4656 - 12/19/05 01:59 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Just a question here, but if an animal is way out in the wild, I mean miles and miles from a dwelling of any kind, is it still domestic? I think that the law would see a cat or dog that way but just curious?

#4657 - 12/19/05 02:26 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

Feral is the term for "domestic" animals that have gone wild. And in some instances it is within the law to kill feral animals. Years and years ago, in Michigan you could kill a dog if you caught it chasing deer -- and it didn't have to be feral. But I'll bet that law no longer stands.

Here is what we are trying to avoid. We are trying to avoid someone getting in trouble because they broke the law. If you know what the law is, you can follow it. Or, conversely, you can choose to break it -- being fully aware that you may suffer the consequences if you are caught.

Statements like "That's the way I see it." Are something you want to hear from an Art Critic, not somebody that’s advising on the legality of an issue.

And, I'm sorry but I can't possibly know what the laws might be in various jurisdictions. I do know you can't get in trouble for not killing a dog or a cat. Maybe there are some places you can do this. But… you better be damn sure you know what you're doing, and not follow around behind some fool hollerin' "That's how I see it." unless he is going to do your time and pay your fine.

frown -- Hal

#4658 - 12/19/05 02:43 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
KYBOY Offline

Loc: Wolf creek, KY
Where I live it is legal to kill any dog or cat that enters your property. Whether it has a collor or not. I know this because I have dealt with the law on this issue. A lot of people dont like it but they keep thier animals in check. Even though I can legally do it I would not except in extreme circumstances. I caught a stray dog in a #5 duke the other day. How it ended up in a beaver set Ill never know. Believe it or not it was released relatively unharmed. The only damage was a small cut above the pad.

#4659 - 12/19/05 03:32 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
OKyote Offline

Loc: Wright City, OK
Why would you want to shoot a domestic animal that was caught in your trap? Are you angry because a domesticated animal stepped on the pan of a trap that was set for a wild animal? It is afterall, still an animal. Are you retaliating against the owner for allowing pets to roam free? Again, the animal is not at fault. Personally, my conscience would not allow me to do it.
Just my thoughts.

#4660 - 12/19/05 04:31 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

In response to Hal's comments, I offer the following.

Over here a police seargent caught a cat and drowned it in a rubbish bin, in suburbia. He was charged with cruelty (for drowning the animal) and also charged with criminal malicious slaughter of an animal. His defense was that he thought it was feral but the magistrate said he did not believe him as he knew or should have known it was a domestic cat (next door). He was convicted, fined heavily, lost his job and now has a record.

Be sure of what the law says and if it allows it, be absolutely sure it is feral, or let it go.
Mike

#4661 - 12/19/05 06:30 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

on my last post everything stated was told to me by my local warden to be legal. he told me that any wild cat or dog caught should be exterminated.

#4662 - 12/19/05 07:34 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
deerehunter03 Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Remember fokes like I said if I can release the animal unharmed I will Im just trying to get others oppinion on this

Thanks

#4663 - 12/19/05 07:47 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

The is no reason that you should not be able to release these animals. I suggest you carry a noose pole to help you do this.

smile -- Hal

#4664 - 12/20/05 03:54 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
foss4936
Member # 2770 posted 12-19-2005 07:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on my last post everything stated was told to me by my local warden to be legal. he told me that any wild cat or dog caught should be exterminated.

If he told you that he was stating opinion not fact. There is a huge difference.
Trappers are always crying about the anti this and the anti that. When a topic like this appears it leads me to believe that trapper education should cover critical thinking as well as other issues. I can not believe why some guys just can not understand why any one would not support trapping.

You set a tpap. You catch a critter like a dog or cat. You let it go. If you are using proper equipment there should be not problem. If you are not using proper equipment or don't know how to safely let a critter go, learn or quit. Don't take an opinion, even if it is from someone that should know, if the logic is faulty and or lacking. What expertise, back ground, etc. for your rational ("I thought it was wild") will you bring as your defense for your actions when you end the life of a pet?

I deleted my first post as all I could say was good grief.

Well,
Good Grief!

A trapper should behave in an honorable manner so that hopefully anything he does will not lead to the down fall of our tradition. Just my humble opinion.
Mac

#4665 - 12/20/05 11:32 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
Always a chance of catching a domestic, but to date I've been fortunate. A domestic gets released....period. If a farmer has a ferral cat problem, and tells me they are a problem, then nothing more needs to be said. I know the law, and so does the farmer. Anyway....here in Michigan they are quickly taking away our tools, starting with snaring. Free casting hounds is a game played by few, but they carry a loud voice. The concern was tresspassing, free cast, dogs getting caught in legaly set snares on private property. The DNR has spoken, and the regulations changed to protect these tresspassing dogs. Body traps are next, and this seems fine with everyone except the law abiding trapper. It doesn't matter how cauciously we go about our business, we still have to give up the tools due to someone elses failure to control their hounds. It's a tought battle when THE ATTACK COMES FROM WITHIN the sportsman community. That said.......how should I feel about releasing a dog caught in a legaly set trap on private lands? My heart screams one answer, but my head calmly warns against this action. When dog runners have stumbled into one of my legaly set traps....the trap is either stolen, destroyed on site, or shot at. What a wonderful corner we're in...... Loose loose in my book, and the further we're pushed, the more I lean toward throwing reasoning out the door.

Keep your eyes on the enemy....especialy the enemy within.

#4666 - 12/20/05 06:51 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Picture this: You are in your tree stand waiting for that massive buck you have seen and been wanting to take home. The buck steps into a clearing and turns broadside. As you are lining up to make your shot, here comes old Rover. Trotting along, tongue lolling, tail wagging, ID tag jingling on his collar. Bye Bye Bruiser Buck.

Now, I have asked several people about this. The answer is almost always the same, "I'd shoot that dirty, no-good, @#$%&**@! without a second thought!". Yet, I am a dirty, no-good, @#$%&**@! for even considering doing the same thing to a dog in my trap.

I have never killed a dog or a cat that was in my traps. I guess I just know better. But, it galls me to no end that there is such a double standard. Especially when it comes to domestics and trapping.

I am not suggesting that we kill domestics. But I for one, am getting tired of bearing the burden of responsibility for irresponsible animal owners. If my cattle get out on the road and somebody's new SUV gets trashed. Who is responsible? How many times do cattle break the fence and run on the road cause Rover decided to have some fun chasin' stock?

I agree with Mallard. How long till we lose trapping? Not to the likes of the AR groups. But to the efforts of other sportsmen who don't think we should be allowed to trap all for the sake of their dog(s).

If more people were responsible pet owners, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So, I guess I must remain the honorable, responsible trapper and just shrug my shoulders and say "shucks" when I catch somebody's animal.

Mike

#4667 - 12/21/05 06:39 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

hounds and pets are two different animals altogether a hound cant read or realize he may be tresspassing, it doing what he is suppose to.

a pet is usally caught due to a pet owners mistake or lazyness, has no bussiness to be out there on it own, or should I say in accordance with our local laws.

hounds are the one exception where I will try to go out of my way to contact the owner and return the hound in person , if his collar has a name and address, made alot of good contacts and friends over the years, which actualy opened some doors for me.

also met some jerks, mostly bird hunters, but the average local houndsman, I can usally work with, to work around each other...jim

#4668 - 12/21/05 09:49 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Jim, how are hounds and pets different? My mutt at home can't read either. As you know in NY there is a leash law. If the hound isn't hunting, he should be tied up. When he is hunting, the hunter should ask for permission where he is going to be running coon or whatever. That's my opinion. Just because he is chasing game doesn't mean he is exempt from crossing onto another person's property.

#4669 - 12/21/05 09:50 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
wmthrower Offline

Another quick thought, I too would work with the owner to get the hound back to where it belonged. But at the same time I would explain my displeasure with him running hounds on my land without permission.

#4670 - 12/21/05 01:32 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
J Severing Offline
Member+

the way I look at it and its only my opinion, is if a hound is set out on land that the houndsman has permission for and is legally hunting on and the hound is running a hot track and the critter say a fox cuts cross lots the houndsmans hands have been bound by the foxes route, dont know a hound worth its salt thats not gonna hot track where that track takes him and as long as the houndsman dosnt tresspass, I dont see how it can be illegal as that is pretty much the nature of the beast.

my mutt and yours or the typical domestic pet is bound by the leash law and therefore it seems we would be responsable for the tresspass and need to read for them seeing how they are on a leash so they wouldnt tresspass.

not saying thats how a judge would see it, but pretty much my feelings on the take....jim

#4671 - 12/21/05 02:30 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
bora Offline

Loc: Gowrie, Ia
Every dog I've ever caught has been released unharmed. But every owner has also been called to inform them their dog is running loose. A couple years ago I caught 2 dogs on the same trail in snares. A Dalmation and a Husky. The owner lived 4 miles away. Well The owner of the land I was trapping saw the dogs in the snare and released them himself. He recieved 14 stitches from being bitten by the Dalmation. I really thought I would lose trapping privledges over that, but he was very understanding. He was a trapper many years ago. I told him to CALL ME if a dog ever gets caught again and I would release them with a catch pole.I then called the owner and told them what happened and that they should pay for the doctor bills. Well to make a long story short I paid the doctor bill and was threatened with a lawsuit for catching the dogs.
I paid the doctor bill because they refused to, and the landowner didn't want to take legal action. However I laughed at them when they threatened legal action against me. I just told them to bring it on, my counter suit would then reimburse me for the doctor bill.
For those saying you can shoot someone elses pet on your property, in Iowa you may. ( I still couldn't and wouldn't do it) But a trapped pet on someone elses property, I don't think it would be legal.

#4672 - 12/21/05 02:33 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

I'm with Jim here. If a person is out hunting their dog, and the dog chases game where it is not supposed to go, the hunter really can't help it and neither can the dog. However, if that dog runs into a legally set trap, in the process, the hunter has absolutely no standing to be mad.

"Pet" dogs, that are allowed to roam free are another matter entirely. Their owners make little or no effort to control them. Again, these dog owners have no standing to complain if their dogs wander away from home and get caught. In states that have leash laws, trappers can use this in their defense if trouble arises.

smile -- Hal

#4673 - 12/21/05 03:34 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
hatch Offline

Loc: ny
a shock collar will keep hunting dogs in line.
hatch

#4674 - 12/21/05 06:54 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
foss4936 Offline

sorry if this is of topic: ive heard that once a dog especially house dogs start running deer they never quit, its in their blood.
And the only thing to do chain um up or get rid of them.

#4675 - 12/21/05 07:45 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
a shock collar will keep hunting dogs in line.
hatch
confused
You can wreck a good hound in short order with improper use of a shock collar. They are a tool to be used by someone who knows what their doing.
They are definately not used to pull hounds off the trail of a target animal.

RO frown

#4676 - 12/21/05 09:14 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
old number 7 Offline

Loc: Oregon
Check your local and state laws on dispatching ferral animals. A responsible trapper/hunter should know the laws that pertain to him or her BEFORE they go out into the field. "Thats how I see it".

#4677 - 12/22/05 06:17 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

Now Mike Muchurin has said that if a hunter has his shot at a big stag spoilt by a dog and then says " I would shoot the @#%$# thing" that somehow appears to be ok compared to trappers who should let a trapped domestic dog go. So is the hunter right or are you/we jealous of his attitude to just shooting the dog? If a hunter thinks (or acts) that way, is he right? Of course not! He is being irresponsible to his sport and as a citizen, and so would you as a good citizen and trapper.

Dogs dont "trespass", people do (dogs roam, wander, are lost, chase etc, they dont think that hard and cant read the law).

You let the domestic dogs and cats go because it is the right thing to do - end of story.

(Hey I am currently 1800 km from home and have been since October trapping FERAL cats, and WILD dogs. These are feral/wild, pure amd simple. That is vastly different from trapping in areas where domestic animals should be expected to occur)
Mike

#4678 - 12/22/05 08:46 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
If you catch a dog in your traps it should be released, to the owner or if it has no tags call a dog warden, ECO, or police and let them decided what is best for it. You can also let neighbors around the area you are going to trap know, so hopefully they will keep their pets home. I once had a yelow lab show up at my house with no tags it was very thin ribs were showing had very little energy. I never once thought of shooting it though, I watched it just to make sure it wasn't going to pose a threat to me, and made my way back inside. I called my neighbors looking for an owner but none said they had a missing lab and none knew of anyone around that had one, so I then called the dog warden, the dog was picked up and taken away, what happened to it then I don't know and don't care its the wardens job to worry about it now. This story didn't happen out on the line, but if it had I would of handled it in the same manner. Don't shoot dogs that are in your traps or running game its not your call to make, this is why we have law enforcement officers. Besides we trappers have enough people against us we don't need to add to it by shooting pets.

#4679 - 12/22/05 02:24 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
As I read this thread, I guess I've always sure underestimated the problem. I catch a dog, I release it and it runs home.

#4680 - 12/22/05 05:21 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Animalpest,

I think you missed my point. If a trapper shoots a dog in his trap, it makes the evening news. And the people who cry the loudest are generally the ones who would shoot the dog for spoiling a deer hunt. I don't think it's OK to shoot dogs. I have caught my share of dogs and released all of them unharmed, even to the point of loading one up and giving him a ride back to the owner's house. And, as usual the trapper (me) paid the price. I'll relate the story:

I was trapping on some land owned by the family of my sister's husband, specifically on one 80 acre section set aside for hay. I caught the neighbor's dog. I knew it was the neighbor's dog, because it was one of his (of about 30) heelers he uses to work cows. I also knew it was one of his dogs because when I drove by his house everyday all 30 of them would run out into the road (in front of me) to chase my truck. I released the dog and loaded him up and gave him a ride home and notified the neighbor's wife. Next day I was asked by my sister's father-in-law to pull my land sets cause the neighbor was upset that one of his VALUABLE dogs was caught. I pulled the sets. frown But, as I was yanking each one of them I wondered to myself, "If those dogs are so !@##$%^&* valuable, why does he let them run all over the countryside to get caught in traps, or killed by coyotes or run over (my brother-in-law has accidentally run over several and not a word was said) or even get stolen?" :rolleyes: If they are so valuable...Why do you let them run loose?

Hal stated: "However, if that dog runs into a legally set trap, in the process, the hunter has absolutely no standing to be mad."

That is true. However, in everyone's experience, how often does it work that way? At best, we will find a nasty note, if the trap is not gone or destroyed.

I will continue to let the domestics go. I will do it because it's the right and ethical thing to do. But, I am not doing it out of sympathy for the animal or the owners. Apparently, trappers are held to a much higher standard of conduct. I guess I will try to maintain that standard, even if it is a pain in the butt.

Mike

#4681 - 12/22/05 11:53 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
All good points that I've read in this post but to argue one point by animal pest. If a dog is on your property and you can prove it was and who the owner was the owner can be fined for the dog trespassing on your property plus leash law violation. Here in WI its like 110$ for the first offense. 300+ for the second and 500+ plus the dog is removed for the third offense. Years ago before game cams guys would put out "fox" sets on there property because it is legal to trap year round for fox on their own property. If it just happened to catch the dog running well the sheriff was called and the caught dog was proof of the dog being on your property and the dog owner was fined if no collar was on the dog it was destroyed. Proving a running dog is on your property takes physical proof and having the dog was one way to do it. Now before I get a lashing for talking about targeting dogs I don't condone this practice and don't recommend it do to the wrong people seeing or hearing this and giving trappers a bad name.
Now with hounds running game. Years ago when we ran coon if it treed in a farmers yard at midnight the farmer wouldn't care as long as you were getting rid of them stinking coon. Now with the movement of city people into the country the same instance would get a sheriff deputy put on you faster than a blutic on a hot trail. Heaven forbid that poor coon is getting chased by dogs. We have local hound guys around here who will go anywhere they want saying their after their hounds. I will let them cross our property but to leave the firearms in the truck. Talk about mad. This group has a bad rep and find themselves talking to deputies more than hunting.
I actually have land owners who have told me to destroy dogs if caught due to deer chasing. I've been able to talk most of them into calling the law and dealing with it that way. Hounds I usually can get a phone # and call the guy to get his hound. Most are pretty peeved that their dog was caught but one guy was happy because the hound ran off and he couldn't catch it again.
Bill

#4682 - 12/23/05 05:48 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

In relation to a dog "trespassing" I was just playing the devils advocate to highlight the difference between peoples actions and domestic dogs'. Sure, a dog can trespass, and the owner is liable. While I also appreciate hunters and their dogs illegally trespass intentionally, some dogs are on land they shoulnt be purely by accident or through carelessness on the owners part. Either way, the person is at fault, not the dog. Certainly in almost all jurisdictions, there are laws relating to dogs at large, or wandering on your land. IMO, unless the action of the dog is an immediate threat to livestock or people, the the right way to go is to do nothing to the dog and take action according to the law against the dogs owner. Trapping ethically doesnt mean doing it within the law, it means doing whats right and based on the posts above, it sounds like that is something which most trappers should be proud of.
Mike
Mike

#4683 - 12/23/05 07:27 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
KYBOY Offline

Loc: Wolf creek, KY
Well fellas since I made my last post on this thread I talked to wildlife official and told him that I released a stray dog and was berated for it. People around here take a very dim view of stray dogs.( i knew that to begin with) Him and the other 4 or 5 wardens I know all feel the same way. danged if you do, danged if you dont confused

#4684 - 12/23/05 08:57 PM Re: Dogs in Traps
BillWI Offline

For KYBOY the next time yiu catch a dog than call the local CO and have him come out and do what he wants to the animal that way he catches grief about it and not you. Best bet would be to have him take the dog away and then do what he pleases that way your covered.
Animalpest just noticed where about your from. Remember seeing on Discovery channel how the introduction of feral cats and dogs really reaked havoc with the native wildlife. Like you said your in a completely different situation than most of us in the states. Last year the sportsman from WI. tried to make feral cats a unprotected game animal and you should of saw the grief raised by this. No lawmakers would even touch this one even though the feral cat problem is really a problem but thats another story.
Bill

#4685 - 12/24/05 06:10 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
animalpest Offline
Member+

While there are differences between here and where you are from, I still face similar problems. What I was saying was that where I was until today is different if I catch a dog or cat and the nearest town (or house!) is 90 miles away. That said, I am now trapping foxes within the capital city limits (pop 1,000,000) and suburbs (I get around!) so the problem of catching domestic animals is now very real! Agree with you 100% Bill in that it is best to leave it to your local officer who is responsible for that problem. Its been said before that the opinions of a government officer dont help you when the proverbial hits the fan. They can duck but you cannot - if they provide advice or opinion it is no defense to you.

#4686 - 12/24/05 08:40 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
RdFx Offline

Loc: wausau, wi, usa
Concerning feral cats and politics here in Wisconsin. One can see that the people in office go with the way the public feels and not science or facts. Maybe in future but i doubt it. Look at Peta, they use emotions and thats why they reap millions fm people that dont know the facts....

#4687 - 12/24/05 11:20 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
Hal Offline

Rdfx: "One can see that the people in office go with the way the public feels…"

confused confused confused Well… yeah.

I do sense that you expressed that view from a position of negativity since you ended it with "..and not science or facts." Here, I think you (we) find ourselves on the flip side of our representative form of government. "The people in office" are determined by "the way the public feels" in that, by and large, the person who receives the most votes, gets the job. And if "the people in office" do not "go with the way the public feels", then they will not be in office long.

I'm not being argumentative here, just trying to point up a fact. Trapping is not a right, it is a privilege, and we are granted the privilege to trap by our fellow citizens. (Those of you who have this "right" under your state constitution, should keep in mind that the same voter generated "amendment" process that put it in your constitution can be used to take it out again.)

These voters are the same "public" that is referred to above. And if they decided they don't want people to trap, they and the people they have placed in office (legislators) could bring a stop to it.

This is why the problem with errant "pets" is a very important issue to trappers. We try to avoid these animals in the first place. We also endeavor to use traps and methods that will not prove injurious to these animals, so they may be released uninjured if they are accidentally caught.

This brings me to a point, that may be cross-grained to some of the things said here. Most of the time, when I catch a dog, I don't know where that dog came from. I won't set a trap anywhere close to an occupied dwelling, unless those people have already assured me that they don't have any pets.

I use small traps, that won't injure a dog. I can turn that dog loose and in a very short period of time, it will be fine. I suspect that in many cases, the dogs owner doesn't even know anything is out of the ordinary, except the dog might have a sore paw for a day or two.

I am under no legal obligation to seek out the owner of this dog, and as I said in a vast majority of these cases I really have no idea where the dog came from. Something I will not do, is run up and down the street pounding on doors asking, "Hey, did I trap your dog?" That's really not the kind of image I want to present to the "public".

I think in many cases, trappers are causing themselves, and the trapping community, a whole lot of needless trouble by trying to "do the right thing". If your traps are legally set, and if you are under no legal obligation to report the capture of a wandering dog, and if the dog is not injured, I recommend you just turn it loose and walk away.

smile -- Hal

#4688 - 12/25/05 01:05 AM Re: Dogs in Traps
BillWI Offline

On Hals reply of releasing the dog and not saying anything that is probably your best bet unless their is a trespass problem involved or other reasons that your obliged to report the non target catch. There was a form in our winter issue of the WI. trapper we get from the WTA that concerns basically dogs that are caught. This form wants all the nitty gritty details like if caught on private land or public, was the animal harmed, CO or other law enforcement involved. From how I see it this form could be used to prove that the animals are being released unharmed and maybe help defend trappers. I could also see where it could be a harm if animals are being hurt or the actual number of animals being caught released unharmed or not. You never read about the number of dogs that are caught and released with no harm but when one does get hurt or killed like in the cases using conibears(most of which were illegally set 220's or modified 220's) this is where the press feeds like sharks. You don't hear the good because trappers I think try to keep a low profile and try to avoid as much exposure as possible be it good or bad.
Bill

#21767 - 12/13/14 11:42 AM Re: Dogs in Traps [Re: deerehunter03]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.