Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4796 - 08/05/06 03:29 AM marten trapping without fishers
Wolf crazy Offline

Loc: Alberta
Can anyone give me advice on how to keep fishers out of my martin sets? We have quotas on fishers and not on martins.

#4797 - 08/05/06 11:36 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
The answer is simple.....you can't. What is your fisher quota? In my area the marten are down in their cycle and there are more fisher around than marten.

What type of set are you using?

#4798 - 08/06/06 12:10 AM Re: marten trapping without fishers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
You can modifiy your marten boxes by making them longer and the entry hole smaller(2.5-3").

RO smile

#4799 - 08/06/06 02:31 AM Re: marten trapping without fishers
Wolf crazy Offline

I was just using a pole set with 120 mag and plastic box. But was looking for new sets to focus on marten. My quota is 4 fishers and don't have any problems catching that in 1 week. i was thinking of making a weasel box type box but was hoping to find out if anyone has any luck with them?

#4800 - 08/07/06 03:22 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
Reducing box size might keep out the large males, but a female or juvenille fisher can go anywhere a marten can go. A large male fisher will usually just pull a standard 120 right off his head anyway.

Also marten can be tricky, if you reduce the box entry size I think you will start to get refusals, much of the time they need to actually see the bait. You will also find that if a fisher cannot get his head into the box he will stick his foot in and get caught anyway.

#4801 - 08/07/06 06:08 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I'd love to see the fisher that can pull a 120 off its head while swingin' in the air at -20`. :rolleyes:

The longer box enables the trap to be set back further, which would reduce/eliminate foot catches. Nothing is going to be perfect, but if you can sharply reduce your fisher catch, while still connecting on marten, then your doing much better than pulling your riggin' all together.

Don't skimp on the bait and the marten will come.

RO smile

#4802 - 08/07/06 07:40 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I've already had a fisher break off one spring of a 120 and get out of the trap. I've also had one break the tie wire.

That was with "regular" 120's. With 120 LDL mags all you get is a dead fisher. laugh

As for the fisher/marten problem, I don't have a solution. Large marten/small fisher = problems.

If you're picky about location you might slow down the fisher catch. It will cost you marten, though. Stay away from the "edge" and set in the old growth.

#4803 - 08/07/06 08:20 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers
Wolf crazy Offline

Thank you guys for the info. As i am new here is there anyother forums out there or is this the best? I cought a xx-large male in a 120 mag eek , looked like he put up a fight for abit. He was hanging died when I checked 24hrs after set was set. He was the biggest fisher I have ever seen and had a hard time to get his head in the 120. I wish I would have kept him for a taxidery mount but thought he would bring in more money then he did. confused

#25356 - 10/17/17 12:19 PM Re: marten trapping without fishers [Re: Wolf crazy]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.