Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#4831 - 05/01/06 07:25 PM Wax paper for pan covers
JuniorTrapper22 Offline

Loc: MN
When my dad trapped way back in his days, he always used wax paper to prevent the sets from freezing up.He taught me to use it on the bottom and top of trap. I was just wondering if anyone of you has used this method, or is there a better method, and what do you guys use when its cold and frezzing happens at night. Thx

JuniorTrapper

#4832 - 05/02/06 07:50 AM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
A lot of fur has fallen to wax paper pan covers. The way I make mine is to cut the edges w/pinking shears, so that the borders are uneven, and this allegedly prevents straight lines from printing thru the dirt. I also wad mine up and roll them around between my palms. This sets a crinkle in the pan cover that hopefully makes them quieter when stepped on.

In truth some of this is simply taken as articles of faith, as the young trappers were taught by the older ones.

I have trapped few places where it was necessary to line the trap bed with wax paper. The few times I have used this technique, it worked well, until extreme low temps were reached.

You asked about a better method, or improvement. One of the simplest things you can do is to switch over to wax paper sandwich bags. Crinkle them, put the trap in the bag, and close it. Cut out the necessary slot for the trigger dog, and you'll have a better package than the wax paper alone or used as two sheets, one bottom & one top. You will also have cut down on your handling time a little.

There have been lots of improvements over the years. Some swear by them, and some swear at them.

A few examples are: collecting dry dirt, and mixing it; mixing propylene glycol one part to two, or half & half (depending on how cold it gets where you trap), and spraying this mixture in alternate layers as you bed and blend your trap;
some trappers dry peat moss, coarse sift it and make a trap bedding material; let's see, CoverHulls; good, dry manure from horse stalls, sifted -- the same with dirt from under logs; what a lot of us consider best these days is waxed dirt. If you need to know how to make waxed dirt send me an e/mail, and I'll get back to you.

The next two weeks are going to be very busy for me. I have a funeral in East Tennessee, followed the next week-end by the SE/NTA at Newport, Tennessee, so, please, cut me a little patience, if I am not right back to you with the information.

Later,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#4833 - 05/02/06 08:50 AM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Pan covers or what you put under the pan just keeps the dirt from shiffting under the pan and stopping It from going off.It's what you put over that protection that makes the difference In your trap going off In bad weather conditions.
45/70 If you have some tips on weather proofing sets could you share It with all of us?

Otter

#4834 - 05/02/06 08:59 AM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
Waxed dirt is the best by far! laugh After I ran out of waxed dirt I used wax paper for under my traps set in dirt and it worked ok but the traps still froze down if it thawed very much. I use poly fill under my pans, it is easier than wax paper and never makes any noise when stepped on. I have had success with wax paper over and under the trap when setting in the snow for trail sets. Bed the trap as well as you can in the snow, place a piece of crumpled wax paper under it then I would fill the whole inside of the set trap with poly fill, put another piece of crumpled waxed paper over the trap, then I sifted snow over the whole thing. I caught a couple coyotes this way and missed several more due to frozen snow/traps. It works best when it is real cold and/ or the trap is placed where the sun doesn't shine. I would imagine snares would work the best if they were legal, not here but you can use them in Minnesota. Whatever you do you can't catch anything if you don't have sets out there laugh

#4835 - 05/02/06 09:28 PM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
If you're trapping in snow....

Wax paper works great as a trap covering in freeze/thaw snow conditions - ie, wolf trapping in spring, when it thaws during the day and freezes at night. Crinkling the paper up gives the water a place to collect and lessens the "waterproofness" of the waxpaper. Crinkle it, it'll freeze, and you'll miss fur. As Dean Wilson used to say, show me a wolf that's heard my waxpaper crinkle and I'll show you a pelt.

Wax paper under the trap makes a nice waterproof base for water to collect and freeze in. You want the water to have a place to leave, and straight down is where it wants to go. I don't put anything under my traps.

In continuously freezing conditions, paper towels work just as well and are much easier to deal with.

#4836 - 05/05/06 06:11 AM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
In a situation where I have freezing and thawing conditions on a pretty regular basis, putting a Vapor Barrier of waxed paper in the very bottom of the trap-bed has kept my coyotes sets working when they would have otherwise been frozen solid by the moving of moisture up and down through the covering of dirt, or what-ever else I may have covered the trap with.

Next fall, put in a set without a Vapor Barrier and then put one in next to it with one and see which one stays working longer....

My money is on the one with the barrier under the trap!

Dig the trap bed extra deep,put in your anchor/stake(s), then put the barrier on the very bottom of the bed. Fill-in with DRY DIRT to get to the depth you want to bed the trap in. Place your trap in the bed, then layer with antifreeze and dry dirt(etc)to cover the whole trap. Snugle-it-in good and tight and finish with a pan cover and a final covering of dry or treated material and a little of the local cover that was there before you started to make your set.

Rain or Wet snow on top of the set is another story all together.

Nothing is FOOL PROOF and nothing works 100% of the time. You must be flexible and make changes accordingly if you want to catch them late season critters.

Just my 2-cents, It works for me!

#4837 - 05/06/06 07:10 PM Re: Wax paper for pan covers
ThumbStateTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
Has anyone ever tried plastic sheeting under their traps? If so how well did it work?

#25346 - 10/17/17 12:16 PM Re: Wax paper for pan covers [Re: JuniorTrapper22]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.