Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4935 - 04/20/06 12:43 AM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
I guess you could try a "leaning pole set" like they make for fisher and marten.

But, like mr. Otter said, you are going to have a heck of a time getting coons to commit.

You can go to all the trouble of a leaning pole set. Or you could try 120's, but they aren't really recommended for coons.

Or, go with a foothold. That seems to be the easiest (and probably most productive) legal option.

Don't get too upset. I would kill to have trapping regulations like they have in MO.

Mike

#4936 - 04/20/06 03:37 AM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
yes i echo what otter says ... it will be hard to get coons in any kind of bucket sets above the ground ... i think foot holds would be your best choice for coons in your state

#4937 - 04/20/06 04:07 AM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Quote:
(B)Conibear-type traps with a jaw spread not greater than eight inches may be set six feet or more above ground level in buildings.

Reading that sounds like a tree would not be legal.

RO smile

#4938 - 04/20/06 01:18 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Please explain to us why you have this fixsation with the 220.
If I were to coon trap I would get In the water with some 1 1/2 coils on drowners and catch a load It's easy and you don't have to worry about catching to many non traget animals.
If you want to trap coon on dry land the same trap will work and you can release any non target animal with no harm done to It. If you want to go one step farther use some of the dog proof traps.

Otter

#4939 - 04/20/06 09:37 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
RBG makes a 5"square body grip that I have seen guys posting about using on coon in buckets successfully. Wildlife Control Services has them as well as others.

#4940 - 04/22/06 05:01 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
mr. otter whats wrong with useing 220 for coons? there very productive if used at the right time and spot. coilspring are of course productive but a mixture of both is key.

#4941 - 04/22/06 05:41 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Mr. Otter Offline

Well we can't use any body gripping traps on dry land down here. But I bet it would be a dog killer If It was set on dry land where you have multiple use. Looks like a good way to lose your trapping rights.
That must be why several states have restriced the use of large body gripping traps On dry land.

Otter

#4942 - 04/22/06 06:07 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I agree and disagree with Mr Otter, bodygrips don't discriminate, although used in the right places you can catch some big quality coons with these. Most of my landowners let me use them, and there is a few who don't. I always ask about dogs or any pets and if these are okay to use. Some landowners want the dogs gone too if they are out there and shouldn't be. I will not set these even with permission if I feel there is a chance for a domestic animal to be caught. This is where footholds come in. Using caution and a little sense, you can set numbers of these out and still sleep at night. To me, these are the best way to harvest coon and stay out of water.

#4943 - 04/22/06 06:15 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Jim Ramsdell Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Maine
I get a few (2-4) coon in my fisher pole sets every year. (with 220's) In my state these have to be 4' off the ground. I can imagine if I targeted coon with this type of set I could grab a dozen or more. Coon will commit to these sets and usually the larger boars at that.

Jim

#4944 - 04/22/06 07:50 PM Re: bodygrip regulation -- 220 6 feet above ground
Mr. Otter Offline

Wouldn't 160s work and be less of a threat to someones dog?
We are getting a bit off track here,the man can't use 160s or 220s on the ground.

Otter

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.