Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4961 - 09/25/06 06:54 PM Bobcat Urine
trapperfb Offline

Loc: central Pa.
Hey Guys,I got some of my supplies today and when I looked at the bobcat urine it was dark and had an ammonia smell when I opened it. Where as my red fox urine had a light amber color with no ammonia smell.Just foxy smelling. I'm worried the bobcat urine may be last years stuff and therefore not as good as urine that is amber colored. The trappers supply house where it came from has a good reputation. Any thoughts on the urine quaility ?

(edit..Please edit your profile to let us know where you are located,Thank You..Ric)

(Edit2: Also please update your email address so we can contact you. I just bounced a message off your registration address -- and that's a no-no. Thanks. -- Hal)

#4962 - 10/01/06 09:39 AM Re: Bobcat Urine
lynx/cat-trapper Offline

Loc: Twin Falls,Id.
It seems about typical...get yourself 2-4oz of cat glands and add them to the urine...SUPER URINE is what you'll get...110% cat smell.
lynx

#4963 - 10/05/06 02:45 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Don't know alot about commercial urine...the real stuff will turn dark and smell like ammonia and has remained effective for me. I was told that if it's light colored and fragrant, most likely it has been watered down and "scent" has been added...I don't use alot of urine, so IF this is wrong I'm sure someone will speak up.

#4964 - 10/05/06 03:38 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Read this thread and went to the shed to smell mine.....its been outta the sun but in the carolina heat for 6 months.

Still light amber in color w/ a very slight ammonia hint to it.

This was collected from bladders and some caged cats and mixed .....should work fine as it smells better than anything I have bought smile

#4965 - 10/05/06 05:18 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
As much as I hate to admit it...most will benefit greatly by following Stink’s advice on "super urine". I would recommend using bladder urine fresh, cleanly handled glands and add about 10% glycerin (a preservative) to the mix.

UT Biology 101: Bladder urine is a sterile body fluid...if you have ANY bacteria in the bladder urine you are sick. Clean caught voided urine from all perfectly healthy individuals (man, women, cat, dog pig or zebra) contains 1000s if not 10s of thousands of bacteria per cc. These beasties live (colonize) the mucous membranes of the urethra and lower urinary tract; as the urine flows through, they wash off. Guess what these bacteria feast upon...urea. Guess what they release as they metabolize the urea...ammonia.

Now then I'm pretty sure that the urine you buy is far from clean caught...can't get the image out of my head...buzzard or stinky holding a cup in one hand and a bobcats tally whacker in another after he swabbed the exterior folds with an antiseptic rub...heck even better if it would have been a she-cat...but I digress. Commercial urine not only has normal UT microbiota but also loads of fecal organisms and feces...increase microbial load equals increase decomposition, equals increase production of ammonia. The ammonia once formed will "separated” from the liquid upon storage, even if sufficient microbial inhibitors were added.

But so what? When Mr or Mrs Kitty relieves them selves decomposition begins and continues until all the urea is broken down or all the water evaporates (add moisture and microbial action begins again). My point is that in nature urine breaks down but the critters still seem to be able to nose out the residuals.

Now then if one is using the urine in a lure formula one might want to QC the urine but for standard use most honest urines should work.

The darkness of the urine is related to the urea content. Urea is a breakdown product of protein / amino acid metabolism...heavy meat / blood diet and little water will make the darkest urine. Throw in fecal material and it gets darker still, albeit for different reasons.

I have drained many bladders from desert cats and have never encountered dark urine, unless it was from a waist snared cat and then the color was the result of hemorrhaging.

The best urine, then, will be that collected from the bladders to which glycerin (about 10% by volume) is added and then stored frozen or refrigerated until used. Glycerin above 6% is sufficiently antimicrobial to preserve otherwise "sterile" urine...all bets are off for pen caught urine and glycerin...way too many metabolic profiles among the fecal microbiota.

Hope this helps some.

#4966 - 10/05/06 05:38 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
trapperfb Offline

Loc: central Pa.
Thanks for the imformation, I have collected my own Red fox urine and done well with it. But I guess i will have to depend on the supply dealer for my bobcat pe. Sounds like what I got may not be the best but should still work ok from what WackyQuacker says. smile

#4967 - 10/05/06 07:39 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Maybe I should clarify a thing or three; if your urine has a slight to heavy ammonia smell the odor is likey minor decomposition and fine. If your urine smells more of a sewer you have something that maybe of little value.

I used a term "honest" urine to designate products that were collected and handle by folks that care and take care.

#4968 - 10/06/06 09:57 PM Re: Bobcat Urine
mikeak Offline

Loc: mansfield Mo.
Mr. Quacker,This is prob. the most informative post I've ever read on urine. Thank you. Do you guys use aged cat glands or fresh for your super urine.
Thanks Mike

#4969 - 10/09/06 07:13 AM Re: Bobcat Urine
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
WACKYQUACKER that explains alot. I put a cat up every year. catch pan under the cage, urine is drained into a bucket, double filtered before it makes it to the bucket then I filter it again when I empty the bucket. EVERYDAY! The first couple days the urine is a light amber color which I save and bottle seperate from the rest. The longer the cat is fed meat the darker the urine gets. A change to cat food will also change the color in a few days. I also don't collect any urine when the temp starts getting up around 55 to 60 degrees and would love for it to stay about 35 to 40. Less bacteria in the cool temps I quess.

#4970 - 10/09/06 09:19 AM Re: Bobcat Urine
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Filtering just can't hurt but it only gets out the chunks! If I were to collect urine the drain line would go into a closed container containing enough of a solution of antimicrobial agent as I felt necessary (for the volume to be caught between collection intervals). The collection line would be as short as possible. The urine hits the "jug" containing your antimicrobial inhibitor and things (microbial growth) get stopped before they get started. All you need to do is some figuring to keep track of inhibitor concentrations...no sense being wasteful.

On filtering; bacteriological filters allow the passage of things with a diameter less than .5 micons (0.000,000,5 yard plus about 3 inches...what is that about 2 hundred thousanths of an inch?)...you will likely be best served with "milk filters" or multiple coffee filters and get rid of all the big stuff. Just keep in mind the faster the urine hits the inhibitor the better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.