Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5276 - 06/11/12 08:40 PM Re: DP Trap bait
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Pet kibble,Molasses and fish meal.Run through an blender to mix

#5277 - 06/11/12 11:23 PM Re: DP Trap bait
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
I tried the syrup route one year - a whole lot messier and didn't work any better.

#5278 - 06/12/12 12:39 AM Re: DP Trap bait
MichiganTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan
Last year I bought a one gallon bucket of Truckload Coon Bait. I would often place a large marshmellow on the trigger and then fill the trap to the rim with bait. I'd then place a styrafoam cup over the trap. All as the directions state. Yes, I followed the directions. I'd usually break out the top of the syrafoam cup a bit to allow the bait odor to escape. The cup attracts the raccon, hides the trap somewhat from passerbyers, reduces the rain or snow entering the trap and is quickly flipped off by a raccoon. I have used salmon, with shellfish and cherry oil in the past, but I like the truckload coon bait. It doesn't really freeze, stays moist, stays flexible, it works and it's convenient. It does cost about $40 a gallon so you pay for the convenience, but you can bait alot of traps with a gallon. Also, you don't need to fill the trap to the top if you'd like to make it go further. The marshmellow on the trigger takes up space in the trap so you use less actual bait that way too. If I could make truckload coon bait exactly as you can buy it, I would. I choose to just buy it.

#5279 - 06/12/12 11:54 AM Re: DP Trap bait
Swampy Offline

Loc: Minnesota
My son and I used salmon and trout in our Duke DP's last season with good results. When it started getting cold we had to switch to kibble/corn mix. Wet bait will start to freeze or stiffen up to a point where the coons had a hard time getting down to the trigger. Still used a good squirt of fish/shellfish oil around the trap and on white styrofoam cup on trap

#5280 - 06/12/12 02:18 PM Re: DP Trap bait
dbs Offline

Loc: western ky
I used a spoonful of jack mackeral in each one last year.Had a fella tell us the other day that all he used was a cotton ball with fish oil on it.

#5281 - 06/13/12 03:30 AM Re: DP Trap bait
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
loganberry oil and crushed cookies or miniture mellows

#5282 - 06/13/12 11:26 AM Re: DP Trap bait
SUPERGOOSE Offline

Loc: Michigan
I usually use marshmallows and a little sweetner like molasses or syrup.

On occasion I will also use sardines and the oil that is in the sardine can.

Both of those are a pain to clean out of the trap though.

#5283 - 06/14/12 09:45 PM Re: DP Trap bait
madcotrappwr Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: central Ohio
You need a non frozen garden hose to clean them out. Tough to do where I am from.

Tim.

#5284 - 06/15/12 09:16 PM Re: DP Trap bait
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I use jack mackrel in the bottom and then fill the trap with mini-mallows. I then put a dab of skunk quill on a nearbuy twig about 5 ft.off of the ground.
I use speed dip on the traps to keep the rust down. No matter what I use will or is rubbed of after the first or second catch.

#5285 - 06/16/12 10:25 PM Re: DP Trap bait
coontrapperchad Offline

Loc: columbus junction, iowa
just to let you all know you need to be carefull with the dogproof traps and baiting them in cold weather. i bought some commercial "freezeproof" bait for them and they were right;it didn't freeze completley solid but froze enough that all i had was a big solid glob in the trap and the coon could not work the bait out of the trap to get to the trigger.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.