Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5479 - 02/14/07 07:10 AM Fisher & Coon w/ 120 sized Body-Grips???
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here in WV, current regulations require all body-grip traps to be set at "water sets" regardless of size. I just received and read the newsletter from the WVTA, noticed one line about a possible law change allowing the use of 110 and 120 sized body-grips on land. I know firsthand that 120's are very effective traps for mink, muskrats, and marten. I also know that fisher, coon and even fox have been caught and dispatched in 120's. It's always good to have rule changes that will help trappers, I'm sure 120's would work for skunks, too. My question is: If 120's are the biggest body-grip legal to use would they be effective for coon and fisher??? Seems like asking a small trap to do a big job. Just curious and would like to hear about your observations, opinions. smile

#5480 - 02/14/07 07:44 AM Re: Fisher & Coon w/ 120 sized Body-Grips???
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
I have cought Fisher in Martin/Fisher sets using 120's ,set in news paper boxs.
Then I cought coon in 120's in box's on the tide water meadows here in NJ. Where our traps have to be cover(with water) at high tide.
I like the Belisle 120.Which I put a wood pan on the trigger wires.Bend the trigger/pan "in" with the trigger/pan on the out side jaw.If a coon reaches in.I'll hav'm by the front foot.Most how ever are cought behind the ears. "never move the trap out of the box"

#5481 - 02/14/07 06:16 PM Re: Fisher & Coon w/ 120 sized Body-Grips???
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
I have caught quite a few fisher over the years in the 120. Is it the ideal trap? No. But none the less it does work well most of the time as most fisher are not large. I have caught some huge males in the 120 but you will get a few misses each year. As for triggers, I typicaly spread into a "V" then bend them back into the box at perhaps a 45 degree angle.

I don't have any of the Belisle like Newt but can speak to Victor 120's on raccoon. I simply get too many reach ins and thus sprung traps. I have tried several things such as raising the box but nothing has proven real successful yet. But it is not a huge problem as I have few raccoon on my line.

I used some pan triggers on 120's this past season. These were set for mink, so naturaly the trap dog was set on the lightest setting. I found it to be a real nice mouse trap. No kidding.

#5482 - 02/14/07 09:03 PM Re: Fisher & Coon w/ 120 sized Body-Grips???
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth. I caught several coons this year that barely fit in my 220's. They were caught at the neck cuz they couldn't get anything else in. You would probably catch a small coon pretty easily in a 120, I don't know how reliable they would be on a 20+ pounder.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.