Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5582 - 06/01/06 01:21 PM skunk odor off traps
b/j Offline

Loc: canada ontario
I think my biggest nuiscence lately when trapping canines has been skunks.......how those little critures can set off a #2 foothold set at 4lbs. is beyond me ! they must jump up and down and dance on them ! lol......the problem I have is getting the scent off the traps.Here is something I tried and for what it is worth it seemed to work pretty good.{ I would'nt want to do a large number of traps this way because of the cost }I covered the trap with tomatoe juice and left it in the sun for 2 days....sprayed it down with a garden hose to wash away anything I could then covered it with volume 30 peroxide and left it for another 2days.......washed it down again with the hose and I was surprised at how good it turned out....not perfect but the best I have found so far.....b/j

#5583 - 06/01/06 03:41 PM Re: skunk odor off traps
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Rinse them, cover the rinsed traps with water, add Chlorox, rinse and dry. The amount of Chlorox depends on a number of things, how many traps, how dirty are the traps, how much skunk essensce is on the traps and how big of volume (container)you used to cover them. I would say to start with between a 1/4 and 1/2 cup per gallon of "covering water". This is not an exact science but it will work. Chlorox is a a fairly strong oxidizing agent and will aggressively attack the mercaptans that give the skunk its characteristic odor.

Peroxides are also fairly strong oxidizers but cost much more and at 40% WILL cause serious chemical burns to skin if not handled properly.

Hope this helps some.

#5584 - 06/01/06 11:27 PM Re: skunk odor off traps
PaTrapperDownunder Offline

Loc: Strathpine Queensland Australi...
Gee I'm glad I no longer have to deal with those little stinkers!!!lol Don't have skunks in Australia!!

(Edit: Let's try to stick to the topic -- Hal)

#5585 - 06/02/06 01:07 PM Re: skunk odor off traps
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
I do what WackyQuacker does.
I just wanted to add one thing.
Do not forget about your trap and
leave it in clorox too long.
It will eat your trap up, pitting the steel.
I know because a got busy and forgot
about one using a heavier blend...

#5586 - 06/13/06 09:24 PM Re: skunk odor off traps
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Guys, i'm not sure how many traps you are dealing with, all skunked-up, but, i have access to a private bridge where i can toss my equipment over the side and let it soak for a week or so. i usually let them soak a while and then run them through the car wash. after they dry i can't smell anything. and are ready to dye, dip or whatever you do.

#5587 - 06/23/06 10:25 AM Re: skunk odor off traps
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
this is somewhat related so ric or hal, put it where you see fit, but i caught a pile of skunks last year and ended up with a pile of stinkin traps cause of it.

we discussed several threads on resetting a catch circle and a new set. skunk circles get reset on my line. yes they stink and the trap gets an odor, but that same odor is all over your circle. i reset the circle and put in a new set if i've got enough clean at that time. i still catch cats and coyotes in those skunky circles with no sign of refusal. really the circle does better than the new set beside it.

i do not reset a skunky trap in a new area, unless its on a cat line. if you are cleaning traps, simply the boiling and dying and waxing has taken care of the skunk smell for me. this is getting ready for new area. i would not pull a trap to clean it just because i caught a skunk in it. and i have and will reset a skunky trap and catch cat after cat setting a dirty trap in new areas and haven't seen a reason no to keep doing what i'm doing.

#25349 - 10/17/17 12:17 PM Re: skunk odor off traps [Re: b/j]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.