Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5637 - 03/08/06 08:38 AM Re: A different twist to bobcat trapping
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
What is the logic behind Ohio's "no unhidden" trap law? I'm not being critical just curious...it strikes me odd...sorta like the old "blue" laws where you couldn't cross a street on Sundays and all.

#5638 - 03/08/06 09:44 AM Re: A different twist to bobcat trapping
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Tom: I am not sure. That happened before I was involved directly in OSTA. I think it kind of got lumped in with the "no exposed bait" law, I believe some non-trapping bureaucrat is probably responsible. Anyway, it is a silly law, but one we can readily live with. A few blades of grass or a couple of leaves makes you legal. And in reality, how often do you really want to set an uncovered trap on dryland? I don't really see setting naked trap on dryland as a privilege worth fighting for.

smile -- Hal

#5639 - 03/09/06 06:55 AM Re: A different twist to bobcat trapping
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Thanks. The "naked trap" set would be of little value to folks that are not after high end cats. But here is the gest of it, Less to carry long distances up steep rocky terrain, most coyotes and fox will stay out of them (but not all!)keeping the trap operational for that $850 cat, and they just won't freeze down. It should be remembered that some trappers still work with long check intervals.

#5640 - 03/17/06 06:41 AM Re: A different twist to bobcat trapping
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Wacky, we can't set an a trap over 4" without it being covered here in NY. I don't know when or why the regulation was made.

#25345 - 10/17/17 12:16 PM Re: A different twist to bobcat trapping [Re: Buzzard..]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.