Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5676 - 07/31/06 07:51 PM tool for making the hole for bait?
1coyote Offline

Loc: pgh pa
Does anyone have a unique way to create the hole in which bait is placed at a dirt hole set without just actually digging it with a trial. I like to make mine about 8" deep. Open for sugestions. Thanks

#5677 - 07/31/06 08:36 PM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
There are several items people have marketed to make hole.But none of them will be as versatile as a good trowel

#5678 - 08/01/06 06:42 AM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A friend of mine has an old wood auger. it's about 2" in diameter, he cut the shank off and uses it in a re=chargable cordless drill. Trappers going HI-TECH. :rolleyes: It does a good job in firm soil, but said it'll nearly break your arm if it catches a rock or root. Sure is unique.

#5679 - 08/01/06 06:47 AM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
A.J. Offline

Loc: Collins, New York
If you look at a garden center you will find a "bulb planter" which is just a big auger designed for a cordless drill. I have often wondered how it would work. It looks like it drills a 3 inch hole. Good luck.

#5680 - 08/01/06 07:09 AM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
And it’s been invented again. smile

A fellow from Alaska recently sent me a “Hole Maker” or as he called it a “Circular Contained Earth Extractor”. It’s a 2 inch water pipe about 8 inches long. It is slit up the side and cut at an angle on one end. There is a rod welded to the non-pointed end for driving it into the ground. When you pull it out, the dirt stays inside of it. It works fine in clean soil. But hit a little rock with it, and you’re done for.

I’m not really a gadgeteer. I’ll stick to the trowel.

smile -- Hal

#5681 - 08/02/06 06:50 AM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
if the ground is not trowel freindly , a re rod or cable stake driver pounded in the ground and then reamed around until you have your hole will work,a cable stake diver with a good solid T handle that you can grasp and work is the cats meow, for moving quicker if time is a concern in punching in your sets.....jim

#5682 - 08/05/06 08:01 PM Re: tool for making the hole for bait?
Ketchumall Offline

Loc: Milwaukee WI
I think I carry enough on the trap line now. I would stick with the trowel that is much more versatile.

#25355 - 10/17/17 12:19 PM Re: tool for making the hole for bait? [Re: 1coyote]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.