Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5702 - 08/19/06 08:29 PM Do Coyotes Prime Early?
TrapperScott Offline

Loc: Cologne, Minnesota
I read that Coyotes prime early in the Northwest Central part of the United States. Even as early as October.

Is this true and when do you coyote trappers from this area start trapping the elusive coyote?

#5703 - 08/20/06 09:50 AM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
Obejoyful Offline

Loc: Chino Valley, AZ
Here in the southwest our coyotes arn't really prime untill after the first week in November. The gray foxes prime first about the last week in October. Cats don't start get really good until after the first of December. Untill then they are flat down the back.

I have four ranches that I trap so because of time resrictions I must start trapping on opening day, November 1st.

#5704 - 08/21/06 01:43 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
AndyZWI Offline

Loc: Central Wisconsin
Please correct if I'm wrong, but I believe the main cause of pelts priming is due to length of daylight or sould i say lack there of.

#5705 - 08/23/06 06:51 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
TrapperScott Offline

Loc: Cologne, Minnesota
That's very interesting. I always assumed it was simply the animal's reaction to the colder weather.

I think we need a pro to help us out on this one...

#5706 - 08/23/06 07:35 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
I doubt that coyotes prime earlier in the NW USA than in northern Alberta.

Up here most coyotes are worth skinning in October, but do not prime until November. Yes it is light that activates fur growth, but it is weather that determines quality and longevity of the prime cycle.

#5707 - 08/23/06 09:45 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
foxboy43 Offline

Loc: coldspring mn
i have noticed that when the days get shorter it gets colder i cant help but think that both play a role somewhat. i have been under the impression that the fur is supposedly thicker up north

#5708 - 08/29/06 06:03 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early?
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Primness and the diurnal cycle are clearly linked. The amount of light hitting the retina, or lack thereof, which ever way you prefer to think of things, acts as the physiological trigger to the pituitary gland :the master regulatory gland of the endocrine (hormonal) system. Primness occurs when the blood flow to the hair follicles subsides; the hair growth phase begins to end or stops completely; the inside of the hide looses its blue color as the rate of hair growth lessens and finally stops.

In colder climes the amount of sunlight is greatly reduced thatís one reason itís colder. This aspect of climate is the selective pressure that provides, via the forces of evolution, for heavier furred animals in these regions. In addition, the general nutritional status of the individual animal or population, will impact greatly on the quality of fur in a given year, region or set of circumstances. We often speak of this in terms of the energy balance; in years of adequate too plenty of food stuffs, the animals will have a higher energy balance, be healthier, have bigger litters which will have higher survival rates, grow faster and have the best fur possible based on their genetic make up. In poor years things are reversed and the general observation will be lower quality in fur and fewer animals. During transition years you get something in between.

Within a clime you will have a variety of factors, besides food stuffs that can affect the fur quality. Lots of snow can lead to earlier rubbing do to increased guard hair loss in the beds. Higher than normal temperature can lead to discomfort for heavily furred animals which will in turn show a tendency to an increase in mechanical damage to the fur and lower quality.

Hope this helps some.

#25359 - 10/17/17 12:20 PM Re: Do Coyotes Prime Early? [Re: TrapperScott]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.