Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#570 - 11/05/13 06:37 PM larger trap use
Ka-Bar Offline

Loc: Central Wisconsin
I had a thought about something that happened last week. I caught a coon in a duke 1.5 and also another coon in a victor 2 on the same morning. Here is what I noticed.... coon 1 in the duke was fighting the trap and had chewed fingers. Coon 2 was much more calm and had no paw damage. This could just be just different personalities but.... could the difference in jaw thickness and speed be what made the difference. My thought is what would be less painful getting hit with a pair of 2x4's or 2 pieces of sheet metal. Could the larger trap actually be better? Both traps had the same chain length 8-9 inches and 3 swivels.

#571 - 11/06/13 07:38 AM Re: larger trap use
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
There is a difference between coons. Larger is not better.

Hal

#572 - 11/06/13 10:18 PM Re: larger trap use
brlawi Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
For coon smaller is better. Self mutilation is enhanced when the opening below the jaws of the trap is larger. Yes coon vary considerably in their tendency to chew etc. I have found that older males and barren females which are large and not really intimidated by anything in their habitat chew less and many are actually sleeping when I check the line. Females that have had litters and Young of the Year coons tend to be more anxious and chew and fight more from my experience. Yes again to each coon has their own personality.
I have also found that drags and using restraining devices, stakes that flex etc. drags will minimize chewing as will having the coons get to cover.

Bryce

#573 - 11/14/13 12:18 PM Re: larger trap use
Kart29 Offline

Loc: Indiana
I've quit hard staking any raccoon traps. I use drowner wires or use some wire to fix the chain to some long green sticks. I'm amazed at how much less apparent stress the raccoons exhibit when the trap is fixed to a drag instead of hard staked in place. I have never had a drag taken more than about 20 feet but this little bit of freedom seems to make a big difference.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.