Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5780 - 02/01/07 11:39 AM pan covers
wv trapperjohn Offline

Loc: WV
Do most of you guys use pan covers or not and if not why

#5781 - 02/01/07 11:46 AM Re: pan covers
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I use the trappers cap in regular soil because I like the way I can really pack the dirt hard. but in sandy soil you don't have much choise and when I do use covers I streach a rubber band across the center of the trap hooking it on the jaw ends this stops the cover from raising in the center or if I don't have a cover I"ll just wrinkel up a leaf and stick it under the trap pan. Just to keep the soil from going under the trap pan.

#5782 - 02/01/07 12:03 PM Re: pan covers
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Since switching to peat moss, I no longer use them.

#5783 - 02/01/07 12:44 PM Re: pan covers
claythomas Offline

Loc: south central PA
Even though I pack inside the jaws on most sets, I know I don't do that great of a job at it, so I still through fiberglass screen down as a pan cover before sifting begins.

#5784 - 02/01/07 01:06 PM Re: pan covers
cody98 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
how do you use a trapper cap?

#5785 - 02/01/07 01:30 PM Re: pan covers
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
i use baggies just because thats what i've always used. i have to haul alot of dry dirt in the winter and it gets fine when sifted. to bed a trap, i put my pan cover in and hold it under the loose jaw. i then pour dirt all the way around my trap and beat it in solid. i them pour dirt on top of that as well as inside the jaws. smooth it out so the pan is the only thing exposed. i can then pack inside the jaws. i don't use a trappers cap. i think its just something else in the way in my bag. some guys love em, but i do pack inside the jaws as well as outside.

#5786 - 02/01/07 03:35 PM Re: pan covers
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
The way to use the cap is place it over the pan and sift dirt over the trap bed.while packing dirt. then when you achive the depth of dirt that you want remove the cap and then sift to cover the pan . The desired effect is to create firm ground everywhere but on the pan . It is a confidence thing. It is not a fix all for tippy traps though.

#5787 - 02/01/07 04:51 PM Re: pan covers
Happy Birthday Asa Lenon Offline

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
Miles of Lake Superior/Michigan beech type sand in my region. One needs to well cover the entire area between the jaws and tuck the cover underneath each jaw or there will be problems. Besides that ants will many times plug underneath the pan if one doesn't cover the pan area completely. I've used waxed paper, screen and lightweight canvas but went back to plain old waxed paper. Ace

#5788 - 02/01/07 07:14 PM Re: pan covers
cody98 Offline

the cap keeps the trap from going off then right. what kind of traps are they mostly used for. jumps?

#5789 - 02/02/07 03:40 AM Re: pan covers
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: Near Red Cloud, Nebraska
I use wax paper for all my cat and coyote sets. It is fast, easy to use, and available. I just cut a roll in half and tear off what is needed. Tom

#5790 - 02/02/07 09:00 AM Re: pan covers
Bismuth Boy Offline

Loc: Venango County, PA
Cody, the cap covers the pan so that you can pack tight inside the jaws. Then you remove the cap and finish the set. The cap keeps the dirt from going under the pan. I use the cap on my smaller coilsprings. There are three different sizes of caps for different traps.

On bigger traps, I use brown coffee filters for pan covers. Cheap, easy to work with, and they do a good job.

#5791 - 02/02/07 06:14 PM Re: pan covers
cody98 Offline

ok i get it now thank for the help.

#5792 - 02/02/07 06:39 PM Re: pan covers
andy sizer Offline

Loc: VA
Try some regular coffee filters. I keep mine on a safety pin on a string that hangs inside my basket. When I rip them off the pin I've got a notch for the dog. Put the other end under the loose jaw. The white color seems like a bad idea until you think of the fact that if an animal gets to the point of seeing your pan cover you have already lost. Makes it nice and obvious when you need to touch up your set, without going in and breathing on your set every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.