Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#5793 - 10/15/00 08:26 AM Deer working dirtholes
Don Offline

Loc: Fairborn, OH, USA
I tried a couple of dirthole/flat sets last year and had a deer trip my traps. I used red fox gland lure at the set and urine about five feet away. I guess the deer thought it was a scrape? What do you use to keep the deer from working your dirt hole. The set was in a picked clean corn field about 10 yards from a bordering grass/wheat field.

#5794 - 10/17/00 10:40 AM Re: Deer working dirtholes
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't think the deer viewed your set as a scrape, but it could be possible. There are two likely causes of deer investigating your sets. One is urine. Deer are attracted to the salt in the urine. I have seen instances where deer liked the sides of dirtholes slick trying to lick up the salt.

Another more obscure problem could be tonquin in your lure. Tonquin is an aisatic deer musk that is attractive to canines. However, I believe it is attractive to deer as well. In this case, maybe the deer did think your set was a scrape.

You should try to avoid using urine where deer are present. You might also try using a different kind or brand of lure. -- Hal

#5795 - 10/17/00 05:59 PM Re: Deer working dirtholes
Wileykiller Offline

Loc: Michigan
Ya when you find a lure that deer don't like let us know?

#21523 - 12/13/14 10:35 AM Re: Deer working dirtholes [Re: Don]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.