Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6009 - 01/13/06 04:48 PM TRAPPING BOBCATS
redfox87 Offline

Loc: Front Royal Virgina
I live in northern virgina and near the rivers people around me are catching cats but i cant catch them ive set diffrent kinds of sets like log crossovers and dirt holes if anyone has any help please tell

#6010 - 01/13/06 04:55 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
meanbean Offline

Loc: Haralson Co. GA.
Visiual Attractors are the key for me put them on one side or the other about 36 inches from the ground and have them were they can move with the wind. cool

#6011 - 01/13/06 04:57 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
redfox87 Offline

what attractors do u use and how do u set ur trap any scent?

#6012 - 01/13/06 08:38 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
redfox87 Offline

can some one help me out

#6013 - 01/13/06 10:13 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
DesertTrapper Offline

Loc: Nevada
A bunch of visual attractors or flags can be made from an old sheet or pillow case. Cut in size 1 inch wide by 8 inches long. Attach one end to light trapping wire and then hang it from whatever is there so the bottom of the flag is about 2 ft off the ground. If nothing is there can wire it to a stick and push the stick in the ground behind the dirt hole.

Put that flag right over or slightly behind your dirt hole so the cat has to step in your trap to sniff it or swat at it. Wouldn't hurt to smear a little lure on it either. Have the trap pan out about 8 inches or so from the hole lip and flag.

Use guide sticks or rocks to block the sides of the set so there is only one way in and that is over the trap. And don't be afraid to use big guides either. Big as your arms, two or three to each side. Cats won't be spooked by all the landscaping, does the opposite actually. But it will cost you some red fox and most coyotes.

Location is very important. If you find a track or poop, set right there.

Good luck.

#6014 - 01/14/06 12:13 AM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I use mainly use cubbies with 5-10 lbs of fresh beaver meat to target bobcats. For a visual(if I use one), I hang a bird wing or a small foil tart holder near the cubby where the wind will move it around. As for lure, I make my own. I empty all the oil sacks from my beaver into a quart jar and add anise and catnip oil(roughly a table spoon of each). I then add glycerin until I get the consistency I want, as well as about 4 TBL spoons of Borax to preserve.

Cats are not hard to trap if they're in the area of your sets. Being on location is a big factor in catching cats, same as any other critter.

RO smile

#6015 - 01/14/06 02:31 AM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
IAFFtrapper Offline

Loc: Dixie(Bedford Co. Virginia)
I use a dirt hole set. Visual attractors of mine include flagging tape with chicken feathers in it, strips of aluminum foil, and some feathers that have been tye died by my taxidermist. These are placed a few feet behind the set a few feet off the ground.

#6016 - 01/14/06 03:25 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
redfox87 Offline

thanks guys if yall were goin to use a brand of lure what would yall recomend

#6017 - 01/14/06 03:26 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
A gland lure is good this time of year around here, but the possums love it. I use lots of guiding with the traps set back about a foot. This works for me, and lets the possum miss the trap sometimes. My boys and I ran a line over school break-checked a set on way to other sets-nothing...came back by an hour later and had a cat at 10 am. Had luck with fox, cat, and yotes in sets designed for cats...blocking and guiding heavy at all sets. Stake or wire some beaver and other carcuss in sets with no traps to "train" them to come in with nothing spooking them, predig trap beds and stir the dirt around just like you were bedding a trap. LOL...

#6018 - 01/14/06 03:29 PM Re: TRAPPING BOBCATS
redfox87 Offline

thanks i will try that i use ashes to cover my trap with anifrezze would that spook a cative had cat prints in my ashes but they never hit the pan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.