Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6028 - 12/20/05 03:20 AM Re-luring fisher sets?
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
How often do you re-lure a fisher set? I am using Gusto on leaning pole sets and box cubbies with muskrat for bait. Sure do wish we would get some snow on top of all of this ice so I could see tracks.
Thanks and have a Merry Christmas! smile

#6029 - 12/20/05 09:01 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
phutch36 Offline

Loc: MT
When i used to trap fisher in NH, I only re-lured after a catch. That skunky smell really hangs on way after humans cant smell it anymore. It should be good for at least 2 weeks. If I had not caught anything by then I would re-evaluate my location. If it was a good spot I would freshen the bait and re-lure. Where in NH are you? I used to catch alot of fisher in the Wilton-milford-Amerhurst area. My last year of fisher trapping was the year they wanted the live fisher for WV re-introduction. That was a blast I ended up with 6 live fisher to contribute to the introduction effort.

#6030 - 12/22/05 02:47 AM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Thanks for the reply, I am in New Boston which isn't far from the area you used to trap. Small world isn't it. smile I put out 2 more sets today making 11 total. I started earlier this month right after a nice snow. Everywhere I wanted to set had fisher tracks. I was very excited. I have caught 2 and had 2 baits stolen due to my inexperience. Should I rebait all of my sets? They are right at 2 weeks old now? Been frozen the whole time. What kind of set did you use to supply the live ones to WV? Merry Christmas to you as well!

#6031 - 12/22/05 08:02 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
phutch36 Offline

If the bait is still good leave it. Just add some more skunky lure. I used 100% leaning pole sets w/220s when trapping for fur. I used live catch traps set on the ground in travel areas for the live trapping.They went right in no problem. It was pretty cool to see them alive in the box traps. I used to trap some up in New Boston also. Mostly for beaver.What are you using for bait. Anything will work but I favored beaver tail. I also always rubbed the bait up the tree tot he trap. Seemed to help get some of the reluctant tree climbers into the traps.In reality 11 traps set for fisher isnt very many. I used to set 3 doz. They are wide ranging critters and may not be back for 2 weeks or more. I think if youve got 2 with 11 sets your doing good. Just have patience and wait for one of those warm foggy nights. I always slamed them on nights like that.

#6032 - 12/22/05 08:14 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
phutch36 Offline

Oh yea. Here is a trick I learned. If you are losing baits to fisher. Go get some of those 2" fence staples (2 per trap). Staple the back jaw(the uptree jaw) about 3" apart to the bait into the pole. You can use 1 staple but I like 2. Only staple an unset trap . Set the springs but not the jaws. The set should be on a really steep leaning pole or almost vertical, with the trap stapled through the bait into the tree. When it springs it will spring down the pole geting a good behind the shoulder catch. Then take some hemlock boughs and kind of cover the trap with them. Make like a little cubby over the trap. This will eliminate any bait stealing. I used this about 50% of the time.

#6033 - 12/23/05 02:16 AM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

My leaning pole sets that got robbed were too close to the ground, very shallow angle. It was easier to climb the short straight upright than walk up the leaning pole (I guess) smile Live and learn. I had built a roof of sorts over the bait and trap. The sides were a bit to open LOL. How far apart did you make your sets in a good location? And how many sets did you put in a good location? I am using 160s, most of my sets are on the ground in cubbies. thanks again. Is it ok if I send you a PM?

#6034 - 12/23/05 03:58 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
phutch36 Offline

Feel free to PM me. I would always set at least 2 within 100 yards of each other in a good travel area or trap stop sometimes 3. Every year Id catch at least one double. If your going to do a leanig pole always find one at the very least at a 45 degree angle more is better and set the trap at chest hight. I also tried to avoid pole set with a vertical leg anywhere close to where the trap is set. Look for the leaners that are hung up in another trees branches.I used to catch lots of them on almost vertical trees with the fence staple trick. My locations were anywhere from 1 mile to 20 miles apart. If your setting on fisher sign your ok, otherwise look for hardwood ridges with strips of softwood through them preferably the ones that come down to the road or the edge of something, be it a swamp, hayfield, clearcut etc. One of my best areas was where a softwood ridge came near a housing developement. I took 2-3 fishers out of this spot every year for 10 years. The landowners loved me because the fishers had been killing thier cats and/or eating thier food. One thing about 160s, while they work I found that some of the bigger males wouldnt go in them. It may be a little different with ground sets vs pole sets,but you may see some avoidence.I prefered 220s. But I know alot of good fisher trappers love the 160.

#6035 - 12/24/05 08:59 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets?
Mac Offline

Loc: Maine
Dktfireman

Sent a private mail.

Mac

#21766 - 12/13/14 05:42 PM Re: Re-luring fisher sets? [Re: Dktfireman]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.