Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6080 - 06/09/05 01:17 PM Drags and Coons
270 Jake Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've read that you should never stake down a foothold trap for coon,but should instead fix it to a drag. Is this true and what is a sufficient drag for coon?

#6081 - 06/09/05 01:51 PM Re: Drags and Coons
outdoorsman Offline

Loc: newyork
I had alot of trouble with coons pulling out of my traps until I started using drags. I have used many things for drags and have found that the size of drag can not be to big as long as they can move it you are in business. I prefer using logs or anything natural but do not think it makes that much of a difference. Where I trap we get some mighty big coons so I use some mighty big drags as long as the drag does not stay stationary and moves even a little that should be good. I have increased my catch since doing things this way.

#6082 - 06/09/05 08:23 PM Re: Drags and Coons
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You need to do more reading. Putting a coon on a drag is one method, but it is perfectly acceptable to stake them in place and many, if not most, trappers do just that.

smile -- Hal

#6083 - 06/10/05 01:27 AM Re: Drags and Coons
Gary Logsdon Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Using light drags , don't be surprised if one goes up a tree with trap& drag . Use drags in heavy cover, if use brush or limb for drag make sure it is a hard wood, coon can really chew things up..

#6084 - 06/10/05 03:23 AM Re: Drags and Coons
outdoorsman Offline

Loc: newyork
When using drags for coons I always use big drags and make sure that if there is a chance of them breaking or chewing through them you could always add an extra one or find something different to use. I always make sure there is no way that they could take them up a tree or go for a long distance with the drag. But that has worked for me and improved my catch. The way I do it is wire my trap to the drag and actualy add the drag as part of my cubby. Where I set most of my traps for coons is very swampy and hard to get a stake to hold. So in my opinion drags work for coons. Have fun when season rolls around and take a kid to enjoy the outdoors.

#6085 - 06/10/05 12:22 PM Re: Drags and Coons
270 Jake Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for the help. Hal, I've read that traps can be staked down for coons, but other places say the coon will pull out easily or even break the trap chain if they are anchored solid. Have you ever had problems when you staked down coon traps?

#6086 - 06/10/05 11:47 PM Re: Drags and Coons
donwh Offline

Loc: Missouri
I stake most all of my coon traps on dry ground. In water I try and run them on a drowner cable, use a cable stake or attach trap to a heavy rock or concrete block (in stream with rocky bottom).

Not had much trouble with coon pulling out using good strong #11 or 1 1/2 cs on dry land and as far as the chain breaking...give it a good yank if you can't break it then a coon shouldn't be able to break it. Twist the chain if it kinks up then add an inline swivel that will take care of them twisting the cain in two or twisting off. lol don

#6087 - 06/11/05 02:54 PM Re: Drags and Coons
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
270: What exactly have you been reading?

confused -- Hal

#6088 - 06/12/05 12:57 AM Re: Drags and Coons
Tony Offline

Loc: Alabama
270. I usualy water trap coons and drown them but I do set some dry sets as well.I have not had a problem holding a coon in a staked trap unless it could reach a solid root or somthing he could pull its self out when you don't have a good catch on it.As far as drags I use them on rocky streams where I can't stake the trap.But I don't understand how a drag will hold a coon better than a stake because once the drag catches hold of something it will stop the coon.The staked trap will stop the coon and I am sure the coon will fight both traps the same whether it was staked or on a drag.Just make sure to have a couple of swivels on the chain.If someone knows why the drag is better as far as holding the coon please explain!!

#6089 - 06/12/05 01:26 AM Re: Drags and Coons
IAFFtrapper Offline

Loc: Dixie(Bedford Co. Virginia)
270, I have never trapped the water(will try this year). Every set that I have made that caught a coon was a dirt hole victor 1.75 without swivels and never lost one. All single staked or double if setting for coyotes. Now bobcat paws left in the trap are another topic. Still working on that, still new to this. Hope that helps, Steven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.