Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6110 - 01/02/06 09:13 PM releasing bobcats?
webfoot Offline

what is the best method of releasing a bobcat with catch pole, without hurting the animal, or me!!!?

(Edit: Title edited. -- Hal)

#6111 - 01/04/06 12:16 AM Re: releasing bobcats?
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Pin the critter to the ground and hold it tight to the ground until it calms. This usually happens in short order. In order to calm yourself try talking to the critter; but don't go trying to pet it. The rest depends on a lot of variables, drag or staked, long springs or coils, terrain and cover, kitten or adult, she or tom, front or hind foot to mention a few. Once the cat has calmed you can prop / wedge the catch pool under your arm or stand on it. With leather gloves on slowly reach to the trap and compress the springs so the cat will pull its paw out; usually they are pulling away.

Some folks choke them down a bit to take some of the fight out. This can injure the larynx. My pole has flat stock to form the catch loop. I try to position this on the cats throat rather than one the back of its neck to reduce this type of injury.

I release many cats each year and most of the time I don't use a catch pole. Most of my cats are caught on drags. All I do is get a bush or some limbs between me and the cat, pull the trapped paw to my side of the bush and release the critter. Sometimes I pin the cat to the ground by kneeling on a walking staff laid over its front shoulders. However there are times I have no choice but to use the pole.

If you calm yourself and give the critter a bit of time generally you can get the job done. If you do use a catch pole I recommend that you drag the released cat away from the set before turning it free of the loop...they tend to hang around and you won't be able to remake the set.

#6112 - 01/04/06 01:04 AM Re: releasing bobcats?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Have you ever had a cat expire when using a choke stick on it?

quest -- Hal

#6113 - 01/04/06 05:55 AM Re: releasing bobcats?
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Boy, I remember the first one I used a pole on ...man I new I had killed it. One cannot fathom just how sensitive cats are to choking. Ask any snaresman that works cats; I've seen cats go down so fast at leaning pole snare sets they don't even move the pole.

No Hal, I have never unintentionally killed one with a catch pole but, I have thought I did so a number of times.

#6114 - 01/04/06 02:01 PM Re: releasing bobcats?
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Over the past few years, my pardner and I have released numerous cats simply because working the live market as we do, the cats are not legal in our juristiction for live market purposes, and haven't been worth our time. We made a release pole from a 1X1 about 4½ feet long with a length of fan belt for the loop. We use this pole exclusively for the cats. The fan belt being wider than cable and having a flat surface, has proven to be much easier on the cats. There is no locking mechanism on this release pole -- simply pull it tight and hold by hand. Most cats don't run, or don't run far when released. (Sometimes I think that they think it's beneath their dignity). Often a cat will run under the truck, and then tell us it is his truck.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#6115 - 01/04/06 02:13 PM Re: releasing bobcats?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Tom: What made you think you had killed these cats? Did they remain unconscious for a period of time or what?

Bill: Once again, a great idea.

smile -- Hal

#6116 - 01/04/06 06:03 PM Re: releasing bobcats?
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
I use a catch pole and don't put a whole lot of pressure on the cable, just enough to prevent it from pulling out. I also use the flat stock agaist the throat to prevent injury. The biggest concern I have is not the head, but rather the bunny kicks that will bleed you quick. eek The second release last year learned me well, The cat did 3 kicks with the back feet and I felt the paw brush me as i worked on releasing the 1.5 from a front foot. I didn't think anything of it until I high fived my partner and felt the blood run down my hand. Not good. We were many miles from anything to clean the cut, and he sang "cat scratch fever" all the way to the store. A couple lessons learned that day. Always have a catch pole, always watch the hind feet on a cat, and always have a first aid kit well supplied with iodine, guaze, and a tube of crazy glue for quick stiches. Don't laugh....the crazy glue will keep you shut right well.

#6117 - 01/05/06 04:05 AM Re: releasing bobcats?
WACKYQUACKER Offline

When they went limp and their eyes rolled back I figure I done did it.

If a fellow is out and about working with critters and sharp things, a very good compountd to keep handy is Hydrogen Peroxide. This will sanitize wounds very well, the molecular oxygen released when it hits blood creates a good cleansing action and it don't sting! Also, put a sprayer on a bottle and use it to do spot cleaning of your white bellies or from your clothing; all trappers wear nice stuff to skin don't ya?

#6118 - 01/09/06 12:30 AM Re: releasing bobcats?
bora Offline

Loc: Gowrie, Ia
I've never had the pleasure of trapping bobcat. But I have done something unusual to release animals before. If you have the truck close, keep an old tire (without rim) and piece of plywwod in it. Throw the tire around the animal, then you can put the piece of plywood over the tire. The animal is completely covered. You can then grab the trap chain and pull the animals foot out from under the tire and let it go. Just a matter of getting off the plywood and letting it get out unharmed.

#24107 - 09/21/16 03:42 PM Re: releasing bobcats? [Re: webfoot]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.