Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6140 - 10/27/05 03:45 PM Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
I checked my line this morning and had 6 traps for fox and coyote in different areas dug up.2 on urine posts and 4 on dirt holes.Everything has been dyed and waxed,traps are nightlatched and set for around 2lbs. pressure-fox and coyote in same areas so i figured 2 lbs, would be a happy medium for both,all traps were bedded with the pound down method and i did a 4 point check to make sure they were solid and didn't wobble,wax paper pan covers crumpled up to take the noise out.I wear gloves and hip boots on my line and store the traps in sealed rubbermaid containers in my truck before setting.Any ideas on what the heck is going on?

#6141 - 10/27/05 04:26 PM Re: Trap Diggers
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Sounds like your gloves or wax is contaminated(SP) I would change gloves and be sure they are clean. I set barehanded myself and have a pair of gloves I slip on to lure.
I got into a deal like your's several years ago and after a week of problems I figured out my wooden sifter had something on it. Don't know what it was but I changed sifters and the problem went away.

#6142 - 10/27/05 05:11 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

I carry a dozen pairs of clean cotton gloves with me,the ground was wet when i set these traps and i had to change gloves often.As far as wax goes,it was 10lbs. of freshly opened wax that i used and i boiled my sifter and digging tools in the dye pot with the traps to clean them up.Thanks for your advice though.I covered all the bases and just can't figure it out,i've never had this many dug up in one night.It's got me scratchin my head!

#6143 - 10/27/05 05:43 PM Re: Trap Diggers
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Where did the wax paper come from?

#6144 - 10/27/05 07:03 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

wax paper is standard Reynolds wax paper from super market-been using it for years.

#6145 - 10/27/05 07:49 PM Re: Trap Diggers
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
confused Could be just the luck of the draw.

#6146 - 10/27/05 11:01 PM Re: Trap Diggers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I think the "where did the wax paper come from?" concerns where it has been stored since you bought it. Wax paper is famous for soaking up oders, and I have had problems with it before myself.

RO smile

#6147 - 10/28/05 01:01 AM Re: Trap Diggers
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
How far apart were the traps? Could it have been one animal giving you trouble?
Have the gloves been in an area they could have picked up a scent?

#6148 - 10/28/05 07:28 AM Re: Trap Diggers
Coy-Dog Offline

Loc: Ransomville,N.Y
Wax and wax paper could be your problem that's why i don't like to wax them early in the season, but this year i went a head and waxed two doz. because of the wet weather.Night latches and all that pan tenion i don't spend alot of time on.The coon move a whole lot the night of oct 26 also so did your deer-- here anyways.I HAD AFEW DUG UP ALSO.--unsprung ,does that tell you something about pan tention.I do think the wet ground and the wax reacted to the spray the farmers use on the corn ,soybeans giving off a ordor. Watch your locations and see if thier is any change.

#6149 - 10/28/05 01:06 PM Re: Trap Diggers
Freddybaer Offline

Loc: Marion Ohio
The fact that you have had both urinating posts and dirt holes dug up does point to something being contaminated. if you are sure your intial dying and waxing process is not suspect, I would backtrack in your mind the process you followed in storing your equiptment and using it. Your sifter, trowel, wax paper, traps,trap stakes where you got your dirt etc.
Another posibility which I ran into when I was younger was the fox and coyote in my area had been trapped by someone who used a certain brand of lure and had learned to associate it with a trap so they would immediately become suspicious and dig or nose the trap out. If you can't find a problem with your hardware keep this in mind if it makes sense in your particular situation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.