Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6150 - 10/28/05 07:04 PM Re: Trap Diggers
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
Where the Rubbermaid containers new? To me the rubbermaid gives off a dibutal odor.

#6151 - 10/28/05 07:23 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions for starters.To elaborate a little further i used the wax paper fresh off the roll and cut it into pancovers and then stored them in ziplok bags.All of my traps were dyed and waxed 5 days before the season-i got a late start on that.When finished waxing they were hung from nails in a new fur shed i built a week before i dyed and waxed-no odor but new wood smell and its strictly a fur shed-no other foreign odor i know of.I store my gloves in a clean plastic bag in my truck and take out fresh ones as needed.On the upside i ran my line again this morning and had coons of all things at my coyote urine post sets-4 to be exact.Its shaping up to be a weird season of firsts for me-never caught a coon at a urine post set until today.Thanks again for all the helpful posts.

#6152 - 10/29/05 07:10 AM Re: Trap Diggers
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
smile smile

Diggers? How about curious coons. They'll dig in fresh dirt just for the heck of it. Skunks too.

And, it looks like everybody jumped right on the band wagon here… "Oh, oh, oh, something has to be contaminated."

Just because you made the sets for fox and coyotes, doesn't mean there were fox and coyotes digging up your traps, and though it is often and indicator, it doesn't necessarily mean your equipment is contaminated.

Coons. smile smile smile

smile -- Hal

#6153 - 10/29/05 09:07 AM Re: Trap Diggers
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
I agree with Hal.I think it was most likely a coon or skunk.Yesterday I got a real nice red fox,and i made my set bare-handed.I wouldn't be too concerned with "foreign" scent.Good luck,Paul smile

#6154 - 10/29/05 05:36 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

I think i'm going to give it a little more time before i do anything drastic.I've got 35 sets in the ground with 60 more waiting to be planted.I've been over every step from boiling pan to stickin them in the ground and just can't find anything that i may have screwed up that i know of.Only one dug up and one snap today-no fur.Before i pull up the lot of them and reclean and wax everything i'm going to see what happens the next few days.I may write off a few to coons diggin around but i've seen alot of fox and yote tracks around the dug up sets.Trappin is so much fun!LOL

#6155 - 10/29/05 07:49 PM Re: Trap Diggers
Coy-Dog Offline

Loc: Ransomville,N.Y
Hey Partner, slow down the fur ain'tthat good anyways not here anyways.Maybe i'am wrong but iget the feeling you have to lay a lot of iron down to catch a lot of fur.I would rather have ten good sets then twenty bad ones.Watch so you don't over trap yourself,i've done it and so have most of us at one time or another. Depending on population i always look on the third night for acatch in this part of the country, trapping pressure can get real heavy around here that will slow things downfor the fox and coyote trapper also coyote hunting has been open for amonth.

#6156 - 11/01/05 08:35 PM Re: Trap Diggers
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I agree with Hal's post. I had two traps, 6 feet apart dug up yesterday. The tracks in the dirt were clearly not a fox. This morning I caught my culprit after applying a little stategy, A nice 18 pound coon.

My line has been doing very well but where I have sets located in cut corn fields I have been getting some dugout by coons. One by one I'm picking them off and eliminating my problem.

#6157 - 11/02/05 05:40 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

I have 1000 acres on 3 seperate farms to cover this season,i don't think 100 sets is too many for an area this large.I happen to have a month off right now for vacation time-unfortunately i had to take it now-no choice in the matter.So,i run my trapline now or not at all this season.I have 57 sets out right now and i think all of them are in good locations and are good well made sets.As of today i got 2 coons,3 rabbits,1 lost trap to a coon,3 snapped traps-no hair in them,2 chipmunks.Not to mention 15 dig ups in far apart areas,and a whole bunch of footprints from fox and coyote all around some of the traps that haven't been dug up-they're just not stepping on the pans but everywhere else,and yes i use guide sticks.Oh,and i almost forgot-a gigantic headache!I am either in an area with the worlds luckiest animals or i have a huge problem that i can't figure out.

#6158 - 11/03/05 11:41 AM Re: Trap Diggers
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
one year ago I had the same problem I stopped and went throigh my motions. and found my problem after lureing I inadverently grabbed the plastic handle on my plastic bucket after switching buckets. the problem was gone but I had plenty of wised up critters. Also sounds like you could use some more pan tention. I have been where you it is extreamly exhasperating. good luck.

#6159 - 11/03/05 06:14 PM Re: Trap Diggers
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I snagged another one of my diggers this morning, a nice female coon, caught by a back foot catch. Now I do have a digger fox on one of my new farms. I know this one is a digger fox because I identified his tracks. He's been coming back for three days now and I'm closing in on him. I'll be adding him to the stretcher soon but I know that this is not an equipment problem because I'm nailing the reds consistantly every day.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.