Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#6160 - 11/04/05 03:08 PM Re: Trap Diggers
chuckieo Offline

Loc: Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
I agree with everyone that you have an odor problem on your equipment. Always be careful of cross-contamination. By this I mean if you get lure or smelly bait on your gloves it is transfered to every trap you handle. If you are pushing your bait in the dirthole with the tip of your trowel you will contaminate every trap bed you dig up after that.If your sifter is contaminated that will mess you up. If there is blood or foreign odors on your digging tools you will transfer the smell to every set you make. Disinfect your equipment by boiling in clean water.Always rub your gloves off away from your sets in clean creek water or dirt. Get several pairs of gloves and change frequently when you think there may be a smell on them. Have spare equipment handy.I quit waxing my traps 30 years ago because the wax holds odors.Good Luck

#6161 - 11/04/05 03:31 PM Re: Trap Diggers
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Chuckieo, I was with you untill the part about waxing but we won't go there. I use a totally seperate set of equipment for remakes and a seperate set for new sets. Keeps contamination problems almost non-existent.

#6162 - 11/04/05 04:42 PM Re: Trap Diggers
chuckieo Offline

Trap jaw, everyone has their own ways. This has worked for me. I have a feeling a lot of people won't agree about what I said about waxing, and you're right we won't go there. It's a new chapter
Good Luck, chuckieo

#6163 - 11/05/05 04:58 PM Re: Trap Diggers
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Thanks to all for all your help and suggestions.I'm not sure what my problem was all this time but i left the traps in their beds instead of pulling them and recleaning everything and things are finally starting to happen.Fox,coyote,coon, and bobcats the last few days seem to be stepping in the same traps that were dug up last week.Either the traps were contaminated when they went in the ground and the smell wore off or i was just very unlucky that entire week.Only thing i done different After i started having troubles was to throw some pine boughs in my trap storage containers to try and cover up any smells that may have been on the traps.Don't know if that helped or not but i'm connecting now.

#6164 - 11/06/05 07:21 AM Re: Trap Diggers
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Gee whiz.

Go back to the top and read this whole thing again.

You havenít done anything different to these traps, or to your methods, but now you're not having traps dug up and you are catching critters. Right after you had your traps dug up you caught some coons, then the digging stopped. Is this really so hard to figure out???

How do all you contamination theorists explain this? Do you want it to be contamination sooooo badly that you see no other alternatives??? Are there too many trees in your way for you to see the forest?

My goodness!

:rolleyes: -- Hal

#6165 - 11/06/05 10:51 AM Re: Trap Diggers
chuckieo Offline

Skinner, glad to see you are out of the rut. Hal, I agree. Remember the old adage, "Tis better to be safe than sorry."

#6166 - 11/06/05 12:32 PM Re: Trap Diggers
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Hal, I'm right with ya man. If a guy does his trap prep correctly, there is no reason to question it at the first sign of a digger. I've taken 4 very large coons on the farm I first had some diggin going on, now the diggin's stopped.

Now, I'll quickley share a story on the flip side of this. Obviously there are going to be times when we will encounter a digger fox. I encounter this when I move into a new area that was trapped previously by a trapper who educated the fox in that area. For a couple days I had a few sets dug up on a particular farm and by the tracks in the dirt, I was quite certain it was a fox. Yesterday I caught a huge male red fox at a set that I simply repositioned the trap to where the fox was standing while he was digging me out. I've caught 2 such diggers this year but I will agree that in most cases it's a coon.

Now one more thought. At another farm I had a set dug up two days in a row. The tracks in the dirt were very small and I really had no idea what I was dealing with. On the third day I caught a grounhog at the set. Hmmmm, I don't know? Anything's possible.

#6167 - 11/07/05 08:46 AM Re: Trap Diggers
mooch Offline

Loc: sullivan co. Indiana
i don't know much but i do read, some. i think that if i had a digger in any set that i would reset and then make a set close by for coons to just make sure!!!!!! had that hppen to me and this worked!

#21755 - 12/13/14 11:39 AM Re: Trap Diggers [Re: skinner69]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.