Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6199 - 11/15/05 12:56 AM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
Well that does make a difference now doesn't it. LOL I have had a few on their tippy toes in footholds when I went to check em but only cos the water level dropped.

...MM...

#6200 - 11/15/05 01:53 AM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I'm a little slow here, so tell me if I'm wrong. You make a regular snare including a swivel. The only difference being, you have a slider lock built into it between the actual snare lock and swivel. You then attach the weight to the "built in slider". The snare swivel is then attached to the slide wire via another slider lock. Sounds like a good idea too me, if I am picturing it right.

RO smile

#6201 - 11/15/05 08:42 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
Wm Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, Virginia
Wouldn't this set-up work without a slider wire? What if you just attach the snare swivel at the shoreline or to a drowner stick and place the weight at the shoreline so that when the beaver enter the water and tightens the snare cable, the weight slips into the water with him?

Wm

#6202 - 11/15/05 09:55 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
mountainman33 Offline

Sounds like that might work also.

...MM...

#6203 - 11/15/05 10:07 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Nope. If you don't make provisions for moving the beaver out into deep water, and holding it there (as in a slide wire sysetm) the beaver will march right back to the bank, dragging the weight with it. Remember, the beaver has all four feet working.

smile -- Hal

#6204 - 11/15/05 10:21 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
To give you an idea as to how strong a beaver is, I have had a rear foot caught beaver bring a 40 pound concrete block to the bank. He was still caught, but he dang sure wasn't drowned. It hasn't happened often, but it has happend. A 40 pound block is square, i.e. doesn't roll easily on the bottom, and must be dragged, and is well over half of a larger (say 60 pounds or so) beaver's weight.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#6205 - 11/15/05 11:08 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
mountainman33 Offline

Would Wm's idea work if he rigged the weight to slide one-way on his drowning stick. Not sure how or if it could be done with a snare??

...MM... confused

#6206 - 11/16/05 02:36 AM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
born2trap Offline

Loc: arkansas
I thought I was clear on this, but now I am a little confused. Buzz, do you use a snare rigged with an extra lock and add a weight or a drowning rigg and attatch a snare (also having an L lock turned to slide down the snare)attatched to it, then add the brake rotor. That's how I understood Hal to put it. Seems like the later might just settle where the drowning rigg would be anchored or tangle in a drowning rigg. The first part sounds like a good idea.

#6207 - 11/16/05 02:39 AM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
That is a cool idea. smile

(Edit: Post edited to remain on topic. -- Hal)

#6208 - 11/16/05 06:47 PM Re: Drowning Beaver in a Snare
Creekwalker Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Would that modification violate Ohio's relaxing lock rule, since the drowning lock is likely to put pressure on the snare lock in a way that, in effect, prevents it from relaxing? Or would it not, since the weight is not connected to the snare lock itself.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.