Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6273 - 08/29/06 01:55 PM Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Loc: N. Kentucky
Does anyone have a descripton on building funnel traps for rats. I am in the process of making some, but am stuck on making the actual funnel?
Mine are 30x10, 1x1 welded wire. I'm using Roof sheet metal 10 inch wide. Just can't get it in my head on making the funnel. Any Help? If you have another method, diagrahm would appreciate the help.

#6274 - 08/30/06 01:30 AM Re: Funnel traps
Beback Offline

Loc: SW Ohio
TC if your going after rats in bank dens you dont need a funnel! put the box trap right up in to the hole. If you look at most den runs there about 4-5 inchs wide. A box trap thats 5-6 inchs wide will fill up the run so you dont have to have/use a funnel,you will come across a few big dens with large runs, use your 10 inch trap here.
I make most of my box traps 5x5x24 a few 5x8x24 for the multi-dens that have large runs.A funnel is just one more thing to carry or have somthing go wrong.If your seting in an under water trail, set dead center. a few cattails or sticks on eather side(V shape)will guide them right in.

#6275 - 08/30/06 03:35 PM Re: Funnel traps
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I think TC is talking about a round trap. 10 inch daimeter, right? Basically it's built like a BIG "minnow-trap", the funnel is part of the trap, and has no swinging-doors, like a "colony-trap". A couple years ago the NTA magazine had an article about them.

If your traps have a diameter of 10 inches, you'll need at least 32 inches of your sheet=metal for the funnel. (3.14 X 10".) Practice making the "funnel" with a piece of card-board, or a section of newspaper, cut 32" X 10". Not sure if you plan to put a "funnel" on each end of the trap, or just one end? 3 or 4 pop-rivets should make the funnel stiff/rigid enough to keep a rat from messing up the works, they'll only have a minute or so, before they drown. I guess the hole should be 3.5 to 4 inches. You'll need to trim and experiment with the funnel, until it fits the trap. Don't forget to make a door. I only have one, but it works smooth. smile

#6276 - 08/30/06 04:30 PM Re: Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Thanks for the reply, Sorry I wasn't more descriptive. I do plan to put a funnel on both ends. I have copied and will get to work on my work bench tonight. The Card Board Idea, is a good idea as well, if I mess up it won't cost me good Metal Material. I have just been having a hard time figuring out the dimensions to use. I believe you have given me the right no# 's RedSnow.Thank You. Building the trap it self i havn't had any problem with but the Funnel, just puzzled me, getting it right. Last year, I had several situations in little Farm Ponds, That had active runs, out almost in water to deep to get to, so i thought of the funnel trap, If i can get it up to the hole, i should have it full of rats by the next morning, other wise, I go with what Beback, does, 110's or 1 1/2 or Box style cage traps at the entrance, i use them all, depending on the situation. But i plan on making about a dozen of the Funnel traps, as i see a lot of potential in them, for my situations. We use to make traps like this when we were Kids, and use them as fish traps, and almost every summer we would catch rats in them ? Seen a few leaves starting to turn, and a few leaves falling, i'm getting the fall fever. So again thanks for the help>

#6277 - 08/31/06 11:32 AM Re: Funnel traps
redsnow Online   content

I was thinking at work yesterday, you may be able to split your 10" metal, and make 2 funnels from one 32" piece? You'll need to experiment. A lot easier to see what's going on when you have your hands on the thing. Curious, are you using aluminum or galvanized metal? Might be able to avoid a lot of scraps. smile

#6278 - 08/31/06 11:49 AM Re: Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

I purchased both, aluminum and sheet metal. I believe one of my problems is the sheet metal i am using is a little heavy and hard to bend. It's for fleishing around a chimney, kind of stiff. So i found some aluminum that is Brown on one side, white on the other, and was thinking of using the brown on the entrance hole side. I didn't get time last night but hopefully by the weekend i will get to this. I hope to build a model out of CardBoard as suggested and use that for a pattern and if i do it right i hope to cut down on waste. I don't know how the aluminum will hold up, but i feel the Brown hole might also put a little extra appeal for the rat to go into.

#6279 - 08/31/06 01:04 PM Re: Funnel traps
redsnow Online   content

One other thing i forgot to mention, that may work good for a stencil, a piece of lineolum-carpet, or a piece of tar-paper. Would be easy to work with. Maybe you can post a picture after you get finished. I'm sure a few people are wondering what type contraption you're making, lol. smile

#6280 - 08/31/06 03:41 PM Re: Funnel traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Try this:

It's customized to fit on a 14" wide strip of flashing metal ( 14" X 24"). It should fit a 10 inch trap. And leave a 4 inch opening. You may have to modify it a little. Make a test pattern first as suggested

smile -- Hal

#6281 - 08/31/06 03:59 PM Re: Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Thanks Hal: will do. appreciate your guidance.

#6282 - 09/01/06 02:33 AM Re: Funnel traps
smitty Offline

Loc: Central Indiana

Here's one of the ones I'd made. A straight piece of metal rolled into a "funnel" won't work. It needs to be (forgive me) "rainbow" shaped, as in the pic Hal posted. My pattern varies slightly by having one leg longer, to allow for overlap.

I thought the radius was 1/2 of the diameter? (but I could very well be incorrect....lol, math wasn't my specialty)

Anyway, start-out with a piece of material shaped as Hal posted, if it's paper, tape the seam, trim it to the size you need on both ends, untape the seam & use it for a pattern.

Smitty

(Edit: Picture added to archives -- Hal)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.