Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6283 - 09/01/06 12:23 PM Re: Funnel traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thanks for the good picture. I'll add it to the archives. There should be roughly 7° of overlap in that pattern. And yes on a circle the radius equals 1/2 the diameter. But that has little to do with this construction. Neither one of the curved lines to be used in that drawing is a complete circle. They are "arcs" (portions of a circle).

smile -- Hal

#6284 - 09/01/06 04:12 PM Re: Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Loc: N. Kentucky
That is a very impressive Trap? I noticed you don't use doors on yours, has that caused you any problems. After seeing Hals drawing i went to the local Office supply store and purchased a compass to realy get into this correctly.
I appreciate the post. Have you been using these for awhile. And what if so has been your success rate.

#6285 - 09/02/06 03:13 AM Re: Funnel traps
smitty Offline

Loc: Central Indiana
TC- A pencil, a piece of string, and a small nail make a cheap compass wink (nail being located on the center-point, tie it to the pencil. The longer the string, the larger the diameter of the radius)

These traps (12" diameter) I'd made for someone else. I haven't many places where these (funnels) are feesible (waterdepth), so I stick with "standard" colony traps...so I can't offer any input on their "success rate" (sorry).

I can't see where doors would be required, much like the minnow trap (as previously mentioned).

Also, I drilled a few evenly-spaced holes in the large end of the funnel, & use hog-rings to hold it in place.

Smitty

PS- You're more than welcome Hal.

#6286 - 09/02/06 04:57 PM Re: Funnel traps
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Isn't it customary to put an access door in these traps for removing the muskrats?

quest -- Hal

#6287 - 09/02/06 11:41 PM Re: Funnel traps
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Quote:
Isn't it customary to put an access door in these traps for removing the muskrats?

-- Hal
Unless you have really small hands and lots of time. wink Removing a cone all the time would be a pain in the but as well. I install a 6" door in the side of mine.

RO smile

#6288 - 09/03/06 02:42 AM Re: Funnel traps
smitty Offline

Loc: Central Indiana
I guess I had misunderstood. I was thinking when mention of the "door" as being over the traps funnel entrances (which was the reason for my not seeing it necessary). It does have a removal door, you just can't see it.

lol, the time I have....small hands I don't.

Smitty

#6289 - 09/05/06 02:28 PM Re: Funnel traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Loc: N. Kentucky
Thanks for all the help, Diagram, picture etc. I'm in busines. And yes Hal I intend to put a door in the bottom to remove the rats.

#25446 - 10/25/17 06:29 PM Re: Funnel traps [Re: Thumb Catcher]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.