Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6394 - 12/28/05 03:17 PM Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I can normally make things work for me but this has me buffaloed.

Stockpond (3ft. deep) in a 3 acre feed lot with 150 4 to 6 month old calves in it. No visiable sign of any kind because of the calves. Cant set footholds without the calves getting in them (I tried) I picked up 13 fish this morning that were bit on the head and put on the bank.

I did put a fish on the trigger wires of a 280 and put in under water in the middle of the pond (the owners idea)BUT I am concerned with 280 around the calves. Probally wouldn't never happen but what if??
I should probally add we are in a severe drought and theres no water for miles, I know they have been there for 10 days without leaving.

#6395 - 12/28/05 03:51 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Are the otter living in this stock pond???

I'm afraid I'm not understanding this.

confused -- Hal

#6396 - 12/28/05 03:58 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Hal if they are I cant find where, of coarse its muddy but I have kicked and stomped around every inch of it. One side of the feedlot borders a cutover and 3 months ago I pushed up the tops with a dozer just over the fence but cant find any sign of them there. Its got me puzzled.

#6397 - 12/28/05 04:23 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

Loc: Golden Meadow, Louisiana
I have yet to catch a single otter so I am not giving any advice here:

There was a post several months back about a set designed to take otter from a featureless fish pond. It involved a hinged 2x8 set up and a (160 size)body grip type trap. Maybe Mr. Sullivan or some one remembers the name of the post. I hope to try it later next month where I too have a livestock issue in the area I "think" has numerous otter toilets.

If the vision of this "diving board" setup I have in my mind is correct then it could eliminate your cattle concerns.

#6398 - 12/28/05 04:45 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

Now I feel stupid...

After a little more time searching I found the post that should fit perfectly with your situation, of course you realize the post I'm talking about...it was YOUR idea after all.

Here it is if anyone is intrested:
http://forum.sullivansline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004063#000000

Why do you think this set is not working for this situation?

#6399 - 12/28/05 04:59 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Why do you think this set is not working for this situation? Because the cows keep knocking the thing over. I even tried a platform with styrofoam on each end in the middle of the pond. Wont be nothing out of the water but there head but they have got to go see what it is and turn it over.

#6400 - 12/28/05 05:18 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

I guess those are some bored bovine. I hadn't thought of them knocking it down. How about three T-posts and a couple of strands of barb wire? That's all it takes to keep them off the duck blinds I use at crawfish ponds on livestock land. I guess that's what I'm gonna try when I use your "diving board set".

#6401 - 12/28/05 05:21 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It’s hard to believe the otter would actually stay there. Are you sure they are not coming from somewhere else? Where’s the closest drainage? You might intercept them going too or from there, outside the cattle lot.

smile -- Hal

#6402 - 12/28/05 05:23 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I'll just have to leave them before I start driving post. I dont have that kind of time.

#6403 - 12/28/05 07:52 PM Re: Float set for otter.
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Sorry for pokin' in here, but how big(diameter) is this pond? You already stated that it was 3' deep.

RO smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.