Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6404 - 12/29/05 02:57 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Its close to a acre.

#6405 - 12/30/05 08:55 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Chris Dwyer Offline

Loc: Oak Harbor, OH
jwr:

Just stopped in for a visit and saw your post. What do the bites on the heads of the fish look like? How big are the fish? Are you seeing herons or cormorants piling out of there when you pull up? How about latrines/otter scat? If it's otter, you'll find scat somewhere around that pond, esp if they've been there for 10 days. If otters are living in/or around the pond, is there any structure around that they're denning up in or under (pump house, enclosed well head. etc.)? If you're miles from the nearest waterway, those otters aren't commuting each day... that is, if otters are the culprit.

If the pond is muddy, you may have a problem with using either a submerged (white) bucket set (MN trappers web site has instructions) or a sumberged (or floating) cage trap with 1 way door, baited with live fish (check your state regs.). A guy by the name of Bill Weeks has a company in Okeechobee FL, who makes this type of cage trap for dealing with conflict otters. We've been using this to help solve problems with pond owners here, which is what he developed it for. Sorry I don't have the contact info with me. Again, check your state regs. on the use of colony-type traps, and the use of live bait. We put 4" dia PVC pipes (white) with glued end caps running the length of the trap (3 feet) as floats. If you want to get really fancy, try using one of those kid carnival strobe light rings or earrings that flash multi-colors. They are powered by watch batteries, and you see kids walking around with them at concerts, carnivals, etc. Turn it on in the evening and attach it to the top of the cage as an attractor to run all night. Otters are pretty curious, it might work, who knows.

Good luck, and Happy New Year
419-898-0960 x27

#6406 - 12/30/05 09:19 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I caught 1 otter in the 280 last night. but it was small and had him across the head at the eyes. If it hadnt been a instant kill he would have pulled out so the fish on the trigger wires is out. I think I will build a cage trap and try that to see. Cant never tell might work. I beleive they are denning up in the brush just across the fence but I cant find any evidence of it. Its just a hunch.

#6407 - 12/30/05 10:38 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Chris Dwyer Offline

Loc: Oak Harbor, OH
It's like a large muskrat colony trap with a flap door on one end, and the other end is fastened square to the sides (about 18" high x 18" wide x 24" long or longer). The end with the flap door is tapered down to about 8x8 over a run of about 10 inches of the trap - similar to a minnow trap funnel. Bill has an excellent design, very sturdy, and is well worth checking out. Since the flap door is always down, we just put live fish in it, such as large goldfish that wont get through the 1x1 welded wire. We attach the floats so there's about 4 inches of freeboard, so we can keep them alive and get them out of there for the pond owner. Bill has other ways of using them in FL.

Again, this setup has been used for conflict situations. Check your state regulations (use of colony traps and use of live bait) before heading down this road. Glad to hear you connected.
419-898-0960 x27

#6408 - 01/03/06 06:27 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Well a friend figured it out for me. I built a 4'x4' plywood float with a hole in the center for a 280 mounted underneath. Caught one 3 nights in a row now. laugh

#6409 - 01/03/06 11:56 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
JWR

Tell me more about this float. Did you frame the plywood with 2 x 4's ? Did you addd any flotation under the float? Did you cut square hole for the 280 ? Did you cover it with grass like a muskrat float or did you leave it clean ?

Give me all the details if you don't mind.

Thanks

#6410 - 01/03/06 12:02 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Yes, I'm interested in this too. Can you post a picture?

smile -- Hal

#6411 - 01/03/06 02:14 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I framed it with 2x4s, screwed some 3 inch drywall screws in the sides and sprayed that caned styrofoam around the screws. I let one side set deeper in the water than the other, why I dont know just thought it would let them get on it easier. For the hole in the center and framed it up with 2x4s. Its cut so the coni fits inside the hole. I had to cut a notch for the trigger and stabilized it with a barkers bracket at the top and bottom. Trigger wires are on the bottom side. All 3 have been siutcased.
Hal when I bring it back home I'll see if I can get the kids to take a pic.

#6412 - 01/03/06 09:11 PM Re: Float set for otter.
beaver trapper Offline

Loc: virginia
so is the coni standing up on top the plywood guarding the hole?

#6413 - 01/03/06 09:36 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

no its in the hole.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.