Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#6414 - 01/03/06 10:50 PM Re: Float set for otter.
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
First the "diving board set", now the "floating patio set". Two great ideas.

I have used a 330/280 in a breathing hole through ice, but never thought to make an open water version. The only concern I have would be ducks and geese using the patio as a resting area and possibly getting caught.

Glad you got the otter problem figured out.

RO smile

#6415 - 01/04/06 07:51 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Are you catching the otter coming up through the platform from the bottom, or diving down through the top?

quest -- Hal

#6416 - 01/04/06 08:46 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
The first 3 were diving. The one this morning was either coming up from the bottom OR I put the trap backwards yesterday. I dont remember making sure it was put back the same way as before.

#6417 - 01/04/06 10:56 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
JWR

I have a couple of more questions.

Did that can foam actually stick to the screws ?

I like the idea of framing the square hole in the float with 2x4's. Did you cut slots/groves in the float so that when the trap was fired the springs would expand downward or did you leave it solid so the trap would push up off the float ? Or did you just cut the hole big enough that the springs were folded next to the trap and everything was in the hole ?

Thanks

#6418 - 01/04/06 12:28 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Beaver_spanker Offline

Loc: AR
I don't know if this makes me glad or mad. I tried something very simular last year and never caught a thing. I knew in my mind it should have worked though. This was in a huge marina that housed like 600 boats. Otter were crapping all over the place and the owners wanted them out. In between the blocks of styrofoam every so often there were 2' spaces where it was open. The otters were crawling up the foam blocks to get into about a 12" space between the top of the blocks and the wooden walkways. My floats were only 2' wide and about 4' long to fit in those places but I never caght one. Maybe if I had tried the larger floats out away from the marina a little ways mabybe I'd have had better luck.

I finally caught one in a open ended submerged cage with a fish decoy in the middle and 330's blocking both ends. Didn't even come out on gas on the deal but it was different experience and hopefully I learned something from it.

#6419 - 01/04/06 01:32 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I used the screws to give the foam something extra to hold on to. The whole trap is in the hole. springs folded up tight to the sides.

After getting a pm on tman about this set I beleive this needs to be said.
Now dont go thinking this is some miracle set and youll catch a otter everyday with it, its not. Theres no water AT ALL for 2 miles. This pond has NO structure, no trees, no grass, the closest thing for them to climb on is a pile of bull****. (literally) I beleive this is the only reason this set has worked so good.

#24115 - 09/21/16 10:45 AM Re: Float set for otter. [Re: jwr]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.