Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6394 - 12/28/05 03:17 PM Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I can normally make things work for me but this has me buffaloed.

Stockpond (3ft. deep) in a 3 acre feed lot with 150 4 to 6 month old calves in it. No visiable sign of any kind because of the calves. Cant set footholds without the calves getting in them (I tried) I picked up 13 fish this morning that were bit on the head and put on the bank.

I did put a fish on the trigger wires of a 280 and put in under water in the middle of the pond (the owners idea)BUT I am concerned with 280 around the calves. Probally wouldn't never happen but what if??
I should probally add we are in a severe drought and theres no water for miles, I know they have been there for 10 days without leaving.

#6395 - 12/28/05 03:51 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Are the otter living in this stock pond???

I'm afraid I'm not understanding this.

confused -- Hal

#6396 - 12/28/05 03:58 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Hal if they are I cant find where, of coarse its muddy but I have kicked and stomped around every inch of it. One side of the feedlot borders a cutover and 3 months ago I pushed up the tops with a dozer just over the fence but cant find any sign of them there. Its got me puzzled.

#6397 - 12/28/05 04:23 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

Loc: Golden Meadow, Louisiana
I have yet to catch a single otter so I am not giving any advice here:

There was a post several months back about a set designed to take otter from a featureless fish pond. It involved a hinged 2x8 set up and a (160 size)body grip type trap. Maybe Mr. Sullivan or some one remembers the name of the post. I hope to try it later next month where I too have a livestock issue in the area I "think" has numerous otter toilets.

If the vision of this "diving board" setup I have in my mind is correct then it could eliminate your cattle concerns.

#6398 - 12/28/05 04:45 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

Now I feel stupid...

After a little more time searching I found the post that should fit perfectly with your situation, of course you realize the post I'm talking about...it was YOUR idea after all.

Here it is if anyone is intrested:
http://forum.sullivansline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004063#000000

Why do you think this set is not working for this situation?

#6399 - 12/28/05 04:59 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Why do you think this set is not working for this situation? Because the cows keep knocking the thing over. I even tried a platform with styrofoam on each end in the middle of the pond. Wont be nothing out of the water but there head but they have got to go see what it is and turn it over.

#6400 - 12/28/05 05:18 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Okiekajun Offline

I guess those are some bored bovine. I hadn't thought of them knocking it down. How about three T-posts and a couple of strands of barb wire? That's all it takes to keep them off the duck blinds I use at crawfish ponds on livestock land. I guess that's what I'm gonna try when I use your "diving board set".

#6401 - 12/28/05 05:21 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

It’s hard to believe the otter would actually stay there. Are you sure they are not coming from somewhere else? Where’s the closest drainage? You might intercept them going too or from there, outside the cattle lot.

smile -- Hal

#6402 - 12/28/05 05:23 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I'll just have to leave them before I start driving post. I dont have that kind of time.

#6403 - 12/28/05 07:52 PM Re: Float set for otter.
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Sorry for pokin' in here, but how big(diameter) is this pond? You already stated that it was 3' deep.

RO smile

#6404 - 12/29/05 02:57 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Its close to a acre.

#6405 - 12/30/05 08:55 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Chris Dwyer Offline

Loc: Oak Harbor, OH
jwr:

Just stopped in for a visit and saw your post. What do the bites on the heads of the fish look like? How big are the fish? Are you seeing herons or cormorants piling out of there when you pull up? How about latrines/otter scat? If it's otter, you'll find scat somewhere around that pond, esp if they've been there for 10 days. If otters are living in/or around the pond, is there any structure around that they're denning up in or under (pump house, enclosed well head. etc.)? If you're miles from the nearest waterway, those otters aren't commuting each day... that is, if otters are the culprit.

If the pond is muddy, you may have a problem with using either a submerged (white) bucket set (MN trappers web site has instructions) or a sumberged (or floating) cage trap with 1 way door, baited with live fish (check your state regs.). A guy by the name of Bill Weeks has a company in Okeechobee FL, who makes this type of cage trap for dealing with conflict otters. We've been using this to help solve problems with pond owners here, which is what he developed it for. Sorry I don't have the contact info with me. Again, check your state regs. on the use of colony-type traps, and the use of live bait. We put 4" dia PVC pipes (white) with glued end caps running the length of the trap (3 feet) as floats. If you want to get really fancy, try using one of those kid carnival strobe light rings or earrings that flash multi-colors. They are powered by watch batteries, and you see kids walking around with them at concerts, carnivals, etc. Turn it on in the evening and attach it to the top of the cage as an attractor to run all night. Otters are pretty curious, it might work, who knows.

Good luck, and Happy New Year
419-898-0960 x27

#6406 - 12/30/05 09:19 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I caught 1 otter in the 280 last night. but it was small and had him across the head at the eyes. If it hadnt been a instant kill he would have pulled out so the fish on the trigger wires is out. I think I will build a cage trap and try that to see. Cant never tell might work. I beleive they are denning up in the brush just across the fence but I cant find any evidence of it. Its just a hunch.

#6407 - 12/30/05 10:38 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Chris Dwyer Offline

Loc: Oak Harbor, OH
It's like a large muskrat colony trap with a flap door on one end, and the other end is fastened square to the sides (about 18" high x 18" wide x 24" long or longer). The end with the flap door is tapered down to about 8x8 over a run of about 10 inches of the trap - similar to a minnow trap funnel. Bill has an excellent design, very sturdy, and is well worth checking out. Since the flap door is always down, we just put live fish in it, such as large goldfish that wont get through the 1x1 welded wire. We attach the floats so there's about 4 inches of freeboard, so we can keep them alive and get them out of there for the pond owner. Bill has other ways of using them in FL.

Again, this setup has been used for conflict situations. Check your state regulations (use of colony traps and use of live bait) before heading down this road. Glad to hear you connected.
419-898-0960 x27

#6408 - 01/03/06 06:27 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

Well a friend figured it out for me. I built a 4'x4' plywood float with a hole in the center for a 280 mounted underneath. Caught one 3 nights in a row now. laugh

#6409 - 01/03/06 11:56 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
JWR

Tell me more about this float. Did you frame the plywood with 2 x 4's ? Did you addd any flotation under the float? Did you cut square hole for the 280 ? Did you cover it with grass like a muskrat float or did you leave it clean ?

Give me all the details if you don't mind.

Thanks

#6410 - 01/03/06 12:02 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

Yes, I'm interested in this too. Can you post a picture?

smile -- Hal

#6411 - 01/03/06 02:14 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I framed it with 2x4s, screwed some 3 inch drywall screws in the sides and sprayed that caned styrofoam around the screws. I let one side set deeper in the water than the other, why I dont know just thought it would let them get on it easier. For the hole in the center and framed it up with 2x4s. Its cut so the coni fits inside the hole. I had to cut a notch for the trigger and stabilized it with a barkers bracket at the top and bottom. Trigger wires are on the bottom side. All 3 have been siutcased.
Hal when I bring it back home I'll see if I can get the kids to take a pic.

#6412 - 01/03/06 09:11 PM Re: Float set for otter.
beaver trapper Offline

Loc: virginia
so is the coni standing up on top the plywood guarding the hole?

#6413 - 01/03/06 09:36 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

no its in the hole.

#6414 - 01/03/06 10:50 PM Re: Float set for otter.
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
First the "diving board set", now the "floating patio set". Two great ideas.

I have used a 330/280 in a breathing hole through ice, but never thought to make an open water version. The only concern I have would be ducks and geese using the patio as a resting area and possibly getting caught.

Glad you got the otter problem figured out.

RO smile

#6415 - 01/04/06 07:51 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Hal Offline

Are you catching the otter coming up through the platform from the bottom, or diving down through the top?

quest -- Hal

#6416 - 01/04/06 08:46 AM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

The first 3 were diving. The one this morning was either coming up from the bottom OR I put the trap backwards yesterday. I dont remember making sure it was put back the same way as before.

#6417 - 01/04/06 10:56 AM Re: Float set for otter.
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
JWR

I have a couple of more questions.

Did that can foam actually stick to the screws ?

I like the idea of framing the square hole in the float with 2x4's. Did you cut slots/groves in the float so that when the trap was fired the springs would expand downward or did you leave it solid so the trap would push up off the float ? Or did you just cut the hole big enough that the springs were folded next to the trap and everything was in the hole ?

Thanks

#6418 - 01/04/06 12:28 PM Re: Float set for otter.
Beaver_spanker Offline

Loc: AR
I don't know if this makes me glad or mad. I tried something very simular last year and never caught a thing. I knew in my mind it should have worked though. This was in a huge marina that housed like 600 boats. Otter were crapping all over the place and the owners wanted them out. In between the blocks of styrofoam every so often there were 2' spaces where it was open. The otters were crawling up the foam blocks to get into about a 12" space between the top of the blocks and the wooden walkways. My floats were only 2' wide and about 4' long to fit in those places but I never caght one. Maybe if I had tried the larger floats out away from the marina a little ways mabybe I'd have had better luck.

I finally caught one in a open ended submerged cage with a fish decoy in the middle and 330's blocking both ends. Didn't even come out on gas on the deal but it was different experience and hopefully I learned something from it.

#6419 - 01/04/06 01:32 PM Re: Float set for otter.
jwr Offline

I used the screws to give the foam something extra to hold on to. The whole trap is in the hole. springs folded up tight to the sides.

After getting a pm on tman about this set I beleive this needs to be said.
Now dont go thinking this is some miracle set and youll catch a otter everyday with it, its not. Theres no water AT ALL for 2 miles. This pond has NO structure, no trees, no grass, the closest thing for them to climb on is a pile of bull****. (literally) I beleive this is the only reason this set has worked so good.

#24115 - 09/21/16 10:45 AM Re: Float set for otter. [Re: jwr]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.