Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6420 - 03/15/06 11:29 AM Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
Frenchman Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Thinking of using pan triggers for mink next fall. Read Tom Krause's book and he suggests 1/4 wire mesh for pans, have heard of other usign tin or aluminium, others using wood.

My intention is to use them at baited sets, most likely a wood box set under bridges after freeze-up. I need a low-maintenance set that I can plug in amongst my fisher sets and canid snares.

Has anybody ever tried pan triggers for mink?

Any comments or advice are appreciated!

Frenchman - Eastern Canada

#6421 - 03/15/06 03:34 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
If you want a mink to go through your conibears why put a pan in front of it? confused If you have an obstruction in front of your trap I wouldn't think a mink would want to go through it.I would wrap fine wire at the bottom of your triggers;that way it makes your trigger a triangle,but the mink can see through it.

#6422 - 03/15/06 04:53 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
The pan sits perpendicular to the frame of the bodygrip trap and actually makes less of an obstruction than vertical wires.

I have used them in my mink boxes and used thin pieces of wood with holes drilled the width of them for the triggers wires to go through. I made a jig for my drill press to make the holes as freehand is a little hard on thin wood(For me anyway).

I actually prefer to bend the triggers in the shape of an "L" just because its easier and works just as good for me. If I don't get the critter going in, I get them when they try and drag the bait out.

RO smile

#6423 - 03/15/06 05:21 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
Trapper Joe Offline

Loc: New brunswick
I was thinking about doing that RiverOtter. After you bend the trigger wires to horizontal do you add a platform of wood or anything? Oh, I see. You insert the trigger wires into the holes drilled in the cedar.

I heard mink do not like to rub against metal. Makes sense if they are wet and it is cold weather.

Good idea RO. Better than replacing triggers. Does it work for marten too?

#6424 - 03/15/06 05:41 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Hello FM, I tried mink pan triggers about 10-15 years ago. Mine were made in metal.My catch numbers didn't change. I also found that snow, freezing rain, etc. was a hassle if it fell on the trigger. I stopped using them in favour of RiverOtter's method.

#6425 - 03/15/06 09:44 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Trapper Joe, darn near anything works on marten, they are not the least bit trap fussy. I used pans for a season to get the little weasels that I thought were stealing my bait, but it turned out I had mice problems, so I quit wasting my time on pans as they are horrible in deep snow country. I went to a wide V with a low thin cross wire(Weasels) and meshed my bait in the top back corner of the marten box. Mouse and weasel problem solved.

RO smile

#6426 - 03/16/06 09:25 AM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
Frenchman Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Trappers from Ontario use the pans to catch mink in bait boxes. Appealing to me to run alongside other sets in a low maintenance fashion. They say fish for bait and pan triggers yield mink, I already use "mink wires" across my triggers, and this works well in trails, but I was trying to find ways to make bait boxes more inviting (and increase catch rates).

Bait boxes with wire triggers don't seem to work well in agricultural areas - they do in northern wilderness, but not so well in agricultural land.

To alleviate the snow problem, I am thinking of wedging these bait boxes under bridges - out of the snow so they stay in work condition part of the winter.

any more wisdom?

#6427 - 03/16/06 05:29 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
Ohhh,thats how they work.That makes sense.Forget everything I said then.LOL laugh

#25440 - 10/25/17 01:28 PM Re: Pan triggers for mink bodygrippers [Re: Frenchman]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.