Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#6433 - 02/27/08 12:29 PM High water fluctuation beaver trapping
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Can anyone here shed some light on trapping beavers along rivers with extreme fluctuation of water levels? Not your typical rise and fall of a few feet, but drastic daily changes. The Tiffin River along my property can increase in depth as much as 10 feet in an evening. The high banks are usually 3 feet under water, where as the water's edge may be 50-100 yards in the field. Then, the water may drop 2-4 feet a day. Although no beaver sign is present, I've seen them swimming the river on occassion.
Any suggestions?

#6434 - 02/27/08 03:18 PM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
First, if the water is rising you can't do much at all, except take the risk of losing a bunch of traps. As it starts to fall back into the banks, you have a chance. If there are any ditches that flow directly into the river. Check them out. Beaver will travel a long way up those ditches during floods. If you can find a place for a 330 that could work. Otherwise, you can make a castor mound and use a foothold trap. But, you have to account as best you can for the falling water levels. Set the traps a little extra deep, and make sure you are going to have enough water for drowning, or for keeping your 330s submerged (Ohio law) overnight.

If there are any high, fairly vertical, banks at the river's edge, you may be able to set castor mounds there. Again, make sure to set your traps deep and use a long slide wire. You have to keep in mind that as a beaver size foothold trap becomes exposed by the falling water, it can become an illegal set. So get to the traps first thing in the morning.

Like I said, use an extra long slide wire or cable. This can be advantageous as the water falls because you can just keep moving your trap and your set down the bank as the water falls, without have to restake your trap. As long as you still have enough water for drowning the beaver. I trap the creeks off the Ohio, and sometimes I end up with a complete set of "stairs" carved into the bank where I've moved my set downhill daily to account for the falling water.

That's another aspect of this. Whatever kind of line you put out, be prepared to rebuild it every day. It's a lot of work.

Hal

#6435 - 02/27/08 08:00 PM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Hal, input appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone else?

#6436 - 02/28/08 12:11 PM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I am glad someone brought this up I have always wanted to try a idea I had for daily flucuating water levels.Maby one of you more experienced beaver trappers can tell me if you think this would work.

On a floating platform ( 15"x 15" ) with two extended 2x6's pointing out in to the deep water. build a castor mound and between the 2x6's suspend a 330 . The platform of course would be cabled to the bank and the 330 would also be cabled to the bank. Just a idea I had but never got to try . Would this work. quest

#6437 - 02/28/08 01:51 PM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
Hal Offline

Yes -- with some reservations.

I built some of these a few years ago. I used riverside logs about 8 feet long for the floats. The logs were positioned about 18 inches apart and a platform was nailed in onto the middle of them. These things were all built with riverside debris. I carried a small chain saw, a hammer, and a can full of nails with me. At the end of the floats I wired a stick to hold a 330. Here's a photo.

I encountered several problems. You can't anchor these things to the bank. If you do, they just swing into shore and become ineffective. You have wade out into the water and find something to anchor them to out there. They also tend to get hung up on nearby objects, so you have to find a clear place to anchor them. You have to get them in fairly deep water too. When the water falls, the traps bottom out and the rig goes out of commission.

There was one other problem I had, that probably won't effect most people. I was trying to use these things on the Ohio River. There is a great deal of barge traffic on this river, and the wake from the barges would often break over my floats and wash away the mud mound on the platform. In the photo you can see just a dab of mud left on that platform. When I made the set the day before, there was a big pile of mud on that platform.

Hal

#6438 - 02/28/08 03:27 PM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
skipper Offline

Thank you Hal. I always woundered if this would work.and If I do try it you just shortened my learning curve a tiny bit. Did it catch any beaver or anything else?

#6439 - 02/29/08 09:23 AM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
Hal Offline

If you'll look carefully, there is a beaver in the trap in the foreground of that picture. -- Hal

#6440 - 02/29/08 10:48 AM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping
skipper Offline

Sorry ; :rolleyes I saw something but couldn't make it out. (Old Eyes) but then they never were real good. shocked

#27008 - 01/07/20 10:54 AM Re: High water fluctuation beaver trapping [Re: cjstrapping]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.